IGNORED

Weatherstripping Glue

joe newsom

8 hours ago, Mike W said:

This is what I use:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-super-weatherstrip-adhesive-5-oz-tube-black-08008/7720004-P?searchTerm=weatherstrip

I also use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover to get rid of the old adhesive.  Works really well and does not harm paint.

Mike.

I used the same thing. I don't like using it. It works good but it can get messy and stringy. I did not know they made an adhesive remover...

@Mike W does the adhesive remover help remove the fresh adhesive when you get it where you don't want it. I found the fresh adhesive softened the paint and would take the paint with it even using just paint thinner as a cleaning solvent

I figured on my next door weather strip I would use some blue tape to try to keep the mess underneath the weather strip.

Charles,

I agree that this stuff can be a little messy to use if you are not careful.  What I typically do is apply adhesive to both the weatherstrip and body where it will be secured and let it dry for a couple of minutes until it is tacky.  Then I put the 2 pieces together and normally get a good tight seal.

Yes the adhesive remover can help to remove the adhesive both during application as well as removing old, dried up adhesive if you are replacing old weatherstripping. Here's a link to the product that I use:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-General-Purpose-Adhesive-Cleaner/?N=5002385+3293242391&rt=rud

Finally, I'm a little surprised that the adhesive is actually softening your paint.  I have not had that issue at all and I can also say that the remover does not harm the paint either. I will add that my paint is a 2 stage (base + clear) and so perhaps that is the difference.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

2 hours ago, Mike W said:

Finally, I'm a little surprised that the adhesive is actually softening your paint.  I have not had that issue at all and I can also say that the remover does not harm the paint either. I will add that my paint is a 2 stage (base + clear) and so perhaps that is the difference.

I was a little surprised too but after I thought about it. The adhesive must have a pretty hot solvent to evaporate so quickly and it would make sense they want it to bite into the paint some. We used it recently on Cody's 510 which had base clear on it as well. Although it was only a week or so old. It gets harder with time...