IGNORED

Bringing old cordless tools back to life dirt cheep!

tzagi1

I'm ready to bet that any of you have a plastic tote in the garage full of old cordless tools collecting dust...do I get an Amman?

Lately I needed an angle drill...and the only one I found in my storage is an old craftsman...the batteries died many years ago and I could find no batteries for it so I did some digging and found that there is a product called "usb adapter" for all major modern tool batteries (Milwaukee m18 in my case) but they also available for makita, dewalt ect...for well under $15.

Originally its intended as an adapter that you can charge your cell phone off your tool batteries ....however it also makes a perfect platform for re powering just about anything cordless.

The process is stupid simple, take apart the old battery , discard the contents and the bottom housing, take apart the usb adapter, you will need to perform 2 functions

1, Solder 2 wires from the old battery connections to the usb adapter (I use a deans connector rated at 30 amp but that is optional.

2. attach the top of the usb adapter to the old battery top using some screws. reattach the bottom of the adapter to the top section.

Viola...Yah got a working tool!, if you lost the attachment points between the original battery and the tool feel free to use a screw to fix it, the battery no longer needs to be removed from the tool.

It worked so well...I ordered more (ebay, search for whatever brand you battery you do have, such as M18 USB) and brought back to life all kinds of old junk.

A word on rated voltage, for example, you have an old 9.6 or 12V tool, will it work on 18V? in my experience absolutely! A dc motor is a dc motor, the more voltage you give it..the faster it will spin and the more power it will produce....look at it this way, what do you have to loose? worst case scenario you will burn out the motor (on a tool that is practically useless), remove the usb adapter and move it to another tool, zero loss.

Happy trails!

2018-06-25 16.41.50.jpg

2018-06-25 16.42.11.jpg

2018-06-25 16.42.41.jpg

• Like 3

Cliff, in your case you got it better yet, they have adapters that are plug and play to convert the new Li lo 20v to old(er) dewalt tools

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCA1820-20V-To-18V-Battery-Converter-Adapter-For-Dewalt-Cordless-Power-Tool-HS/112963406385?epid=3018615709&hash=item1a4d24ca31:g:n3AAAOSw6sRa4o00

The batteries are cheap too...you can get knock offs for around $20-30 each shipped. they do work, the case material may not be to OEM spec but they do use good cells, head over heals better then the older nimh crap.

• Like 1