IGNORED

RAC works rallye car Test Dec 1970 by Autocar UK Magazine

JDMjunkies.ch

Ever since i read about Autocar UK Magazine testing one of the 240Z Works rallye Cars in 1970 in the "Race and Rallye Car" Magazine Article,  i was wondering what it's all about.
I thought it could be interesting not only for me, but for many of my followers, so i contacted Autocar since i wasn't able to find a printed copy online, allthough im sure i would if i was waiting long enough for one to show up.
I know at least one person who has the printed original magazine issue ?
Today Autocar UK replied me with the complete Article of the Test they did as a part of the December 1970 Issue.
Image-1.jpg

Big thanks to Matt B. (Executive Editor at www.autocar.co.uk) for not only searching the old article for me and sending it, but also for allowing me to publish it here. THANK YOU!

Click the following link to get the full 3-paged article as high-res pdf file:
Autocar Dec 1970 Works rallye car test www.JDMjunkies.ch
Image-2.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Courtesy of Hoover

Plate and number match but stickers vary.  Either different stages or different races.

44904765145f8fd6562e08ae5075018f.jpg

You might want to check the bag on that Hoover. It sucked up a picture of a different car on a different event.

As you can see on the door, this is from the 1972 RAC Rally and it is a different car.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Ever since i read about Autocar UK Magazine testing one of the 240Z Works rallye Cars in 1970 in the "Race and Rallye Car" Magazine Article,  i was wondering what it's all about.
I thought it could be interesting not only for me, but for many of my followers, so i contacted Autocar since i wasn't able to find a printed copy online, allthough im sure i would if i was waiting long enough for one to show up.
I know at least one person who has the printed original magazine issue ?
Today Autocar UK replied me with the complete Article of the Test they did as a part of the December 1970 Issue.

Big thanks to Matt B. (Executive Editor at www.autocar.co.uk) for not only searching the old article for me and sending it, but also for allowing me to publish it here. THANK YOU!

Click the following link to get the full 3-paged article as high-res pdf file:
Autocar Dec 1970 Works rallye car test www.JDMjunkies.ch

It was a nice article for the time, and a valiant effort to get into the details of the car, but lots of little 'secrets' went over their heads.

These cars were far from standard, and what they were actually looking at was effectively a super lightweight 432-R type bodyshell with an L24 installed. That L24 was far, far from standard (not surprising that the Works team played their cards close to their chest) as it had a different crank, rods, pistons, oil pan, flywheel, clutch, cam, modified E31 head and all sort of other little tricks.

Very deep subject.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

It was a nice article for the time, and a valiant effort to get into the details of the car, but lots of little 'secrets' went over their heads.

These cars were far from standard, and what they were actually looking at was effectively a super lightweight 432-R type bodyshell with an L24 installed. That L24 was far, far from standard (not surprising that the Works team played their cards close to their chest) as it had a different crank, rods, pistons, oil pan, flywheel, clutch, cam, modified E31 head and all sort of other little tricks.

Very deep subject. 

I didn't know the fact that nissan used a 432-R shell as the base, quite interesting... makes sense when i think about it. I guess they (Autocar) didn't even know about the existense of a Z432(-R) by then in the UK ?
As they write in the article, Nissan / Datsun wasn't very helpful in giving them the specs of the car, which is - as you point out - totally understandable when thinking about a fairly new car in the rallye game with the risk of a marketing desaster....
Still i was impressed about the text when comparing to others, especially when you think about the fact that they haven't even got hands on a "street" 240Z by then. so they had basically nothing to compare it with.