IGNORED

Wiring EU Taillights/TS Problem

Villeman

The turn signal switch is a 280z one, pretty sure its 76. Definitely has 3 wires. I get 12V there and switched to left and right.

BUT, its not the 280z switch you disassebled but the one with a rocker and small bearing ball inside, but only ONE contact pad each side. So its an early switch. Maybe they mixed up the wiring there....:facepalm: (contacts are definitely different)

Edited by Villeman

You will have to track the circuit all the way through. Something got rewired somewhere. If you have 12VDC on each leg going out of the turn signal switch, continue tracing it down the line, such as at the C3 and C4 connectors between the dash harness and other harnesses.

Also, you said you are "pretty sure" the flasher relays are good. Why do you think they are good? The hazard circuit especially seems like the flasher is not good or there is not enough load in the circuit for the bimetal strip (if it's an old relay) to work.

There could to be things going on in the wiring that you do not see or do not recognize as being different/wrong.

Please go back through this thread and look for questions I asked that you did not answer. There are pieces to this puzzle that are missing.

Yes, next week will be the first time i can try. I am not sure about the relays, so i bridged them so I should get permanent light in the indicators. And thats not happening. Guess I have to multimeter everything. I just wanted to rule out the taillights as a culprit first :)

Thanks !

Found the small Connection harness with c10 and c11 to be a 24023 N4700 serial with wrong pin assignment.... my car should be n3600 iirc. No 12v on the  to-hazard switch side...and only ohne of the two green cables present in my cars harness   

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

Edited by Villeman

Good diagnostics. Carpartsmanual.com lists 24023-N4200 and 24023-N4201 as comparable parts. The first part number is 75-07 and before build dates, and the second part number is for build dates of 75-08 and later.

Well, obviously ;) but i´d rather not butcher a perfectly good harness (i have to remake pins to ..well, pins counterparts and vice versa). I will try to buy a 75-76 harness piece somewhere first. I can always buther it later :)

Well I consider the term "butcher" a little extreme... I was suggesting that there may be a possibility to "modify" the wrong harness to "convert" it to the design you desire.

With the right tools, you can remove the electrical contacts from the plastic shell and then re-insert them without damage. I was thinking there might be a possibility you could do that to the harness and end up with what you desired. Take the part number label off (to avoid future confusion), and use it on your car.

I know the chances of success of that plan the be very small but non-zero. Thought I would toss out the suggestion.

A good condition (but wrong) harness isn't worth as much to you as one that does what you need.     :)

True, I did try with one connector and no doubt I could make it work but since i would need additional pins I would need to cut those from another harness etc. I will just try to buy the right one and keep modifying as Plan B. The harness is really pristine and without need I am rather putting it out on the market after having bought mine so there will be two good ones and not 2 modified ones ^^