240z won’t start - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

240z won’t start

Featured Replies

 Help! I got me a 73 240z. I did not have problem starting the car before but recently I when I start the car I only hear a click from the relay.Changed the ignition switch but no improvement. Clean the wires connected to the solenoid no change. But when I jump the solenoid the car starts. Any ideas?see5E94E238-BAAB-4D40-B43E-60EF75304AF1.MOV video.  any help is appreciated. 

This will take some thinking and pointing. Maybe if I can remember to look this weekend...

  • Author

Thanks Steve any help is appreciated. I don’t have any experience  when it come to electrical I hope you can direct me to get it running 

1 hour ago, krZing said:

 Help! I got me a 73 240z. I did not have problem starting the car before but recently I when I start the car I only hear a click from the relay.Changed the ignition switch but no improvement. Clean the wires connected to the solenoid no change. But when I jump the solenoid the car starts. Any ideas?see5E94E238-BAAB-4D40-B43E-60EF75304AF1.MOV video.  any help is appreciated. 

Rephrasing your situation - turning the key to Start causes "a" relay to click but no action from the starter.  

Try pulling the small wire from the solenoid, cleaning the connections and maybe recrimping the end.  Make sure it has a good connection.  I came within seconds of buying a new starter for my car until I realized that the voltmeter wasn't moving much when I tried to Start.  If the starter was bad I should have seen some draw but got no action.  I got out and pushed and pulled on the solenoid wire and it started right up.  It had lost continuity, at the connection with the solenoid, even though it looked fine.

Also, if you have a meter or test light, find out if the small wire at the solenoid is, or is not, getting voltage when you turn the key to Start.  The starter and solenoid do most of the work for starting, all they need is a an amp or two at the tiny solenoid terminal.  That's why most manufacturers run full current through the ignition switch for the starter solenoid.  It's a small load.

  • Author

Thanks Zed. I did pulled out connection and clean it but still have the same issue. Maybe I’ll try to change the connector with a new one and see what happens. I will give an update once it’s done

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Take a look at the wiring diagram and follow the path back from the solenoid wire.  Don't make it a mystery.  Really, you could run 6 feet of wire and make a push button starter if you wanted to, since you know that jumping the solenoid works.  You might just have a bad connection somewhere along the way.

http://www.classiczcars.com/files/

  • Author

The diagram Look  intimidating but I will try it this weekend. I’ll post an update. Thanks 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.