IGNORED

Starter Brushes

Jeff G 78

Is there a trick to getting the phillips head screws out of the starter body that retain the brushes?  I have two gear reduction starters that no longer work properly, so I was going to at least take a look at the brushes, but I cannot get the screws out.  I tried an impact screwdriver with no luck.  

Hey Zed, no, I did not strip the head.  It simply won't budge.  Now that I look at the pic you posted, I'm not positive I even need to remove it.  I *think* I was trying to remove the unmarked screw just above the "Field Coil" designation on the left side of the diagram.  I will look at the starter again later today and just take it all apart.  I do have the FSM, but I hadn't looked at it yet.  I figured the brush would be smoked and I would then proceed with a rebuild.

It looks like RockAuto has the brushes and bushings, so it the armature looks okay, I might get it working for a few bucks.