NoClassic

Rally Suspension

We just picked up a clean 260z rolling chassis and are considering a rally/safari inspired build. The past week or so I have been doing a bunch of reading but cant find any definitive answers regarding lifted suspension setup for the chassis. Is there a proven combination that you guys are running on these? 

On 1/8/2018 at 4:49 PM, NoClassic said:

We just picked up a clean 260z rolling chassis and are considering a rally/safari inspired build. The past week or so I have been doing a bunch of reading but cant find any definitive answers regarding lifted suspension setup for the chassis. Is there a proven combination that you guys are running on these? 

Is the car actually going to be used in anger as a rally car, or is it more of a 'looks' thing?

If it is for serious use then I could give some recommendations, but if it's just a looks thing you could build your own setup with a few pointers.

I would prefer something that was capable of serious use but would also be interested in information regarding a budget/looks setup as well. 

Thanks! 

Edited by NoClassic

Start prep 1972 240Z for Trans America 2018 and P2P (Beijing to Paris for 2019)  I have been doing reading but cant find any answers about lifting suspension for about 3-6" not for look but for aggressive driving, or find skid plates setup/drawing.

Need help.

You could always try and find the factory rally springs, this guy went into immense detail about the factory Torco options with spring rates and diagrams. If the factory rally setup could survive the EAS it can handle whatever you plan to do.

http://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2017-01-19/240z-the-ultimate-guide-to-factory-suspension-and-options/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DatsunDylan said:

You could always try and find the factory rally springs, this guy went into immense detail about the factory Torco options with spring rates and diagrams. If the factory rally setup could survive the EAS it can handle whatever you plan to do.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to take the JDM Junkies thing seriously. He's got half a paper parts label,  he's reading 'TORCO LTD' on it and concluding that 'TORCO LTD' were the manufacturers of suspension components for Nissan...?

There may well be a parallel universe where somebody has found the other half of that paper label, is reading 'NISSAN MO' on it and concluding that 'NISSAN MO' were the manufacturers of suspension components for Nissan.

1ZA6pS.jpg

Edited by HS30-H
  • Like 3

Depending on your preference for rally vs safari, here's another car to use as inspiration:

Nissan sourced their parts out to other manufacturers, they didn't make everything in house. Ampco made the struts and some fuel pumps like on the Datsun 620, they put their customers part numbers on them.

3 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Reality check:

ALVXQb.jpg

5ENA5O.jpg

Nissan out sourced their parts, it's a Nissan factory part not made in a Nissan factory. A very common one, is AMPCO, Atsugi Motor Parts Company. They were one of the companies licensed by Nissan to make parts including L24 pistons, water and fuel pumps, and struts. If you look at your pistons they will say AMPCO or Atsugi on them, not made by Nissan, made for them. So I don't have trouble believing Torco was one of those companies.

2 hours ago, DatsunDylan said:

So I don't have trouble believing Torco was one of those companies.

Did you even read his post? It would appear that it went straight over your head.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DatsunDylan said:

Nissan out sourced their parts, it's a Nissan factory part not made in a Nissan factory. A very common one, is AMPCO, Atsugi Motor Parts Company. They were one of the companies licensed by Nissan to make parts including L24 pistons, water and fuel pumps, and struts. If you look at your pistons they will say AMPCO or Atsugi on them, not made by Nissan, made for them. So I don't have trouble believing Torco was one of those companies.

You realise that AMPCO/Atsugi were part of the Nissan group of companies, now under the very wide wing span of Hitachi, right? Maybe not.

I'm interested (not to say flabbergasted...) to see that you are sticking with the idea of 'TORCO' as a supplier to Nissan. How about 'NISSAN MO'? Maybe 'GENUINEPA' or 'ARTSNISS'? The possibilities are almost endless...  

• Like 1

I don't really want to break a butterfly on a wheel here, but...

lF0XZZ.jpgPh2c0w.jpg

*polite cough*

Edited by HS30-H
smaller images to save your eyesight...
  • Like 1

Mr. Junkie is smok'in too much JDM.  This has to be the funniest thread I have seen in a long time.  Thanks for the chuckle this morning!

Ya' know, the more JDM you smoke, the less your spring rate.  Unless, of course, you vape with a TOR CO.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1

So we can put this item to rest -- here's the partial label positioned over a complete Nissan label. A little tweaking was necessary to allow for the condition of the original, plus there are minor differences in scale between the two.

label1.jpg

• Like 2

OK guys, i just came across this thread by accident and i'd like to let you know:

1) I'm the guy with the JDMjunkies.ch blog and Project build
2) as i state on my Suspension post, i tried my very best to get all the Information right and it was all the Information i had at the Point when i wrote the post.
3) I also stated that you should let me know if you have any corrections and can prove it.

So this all makes sense and i updated the Information on my blog. Feeling a bit guilty for missing such an obvious Point. but yeah - $^!# happens, right?
Thanks for your Input. Next time, please let me know directly if you know more. At least some guy shot me a message yesterday to tell me the correct Thing. Whoever it was - thanks, mate!

Also @Alan, i asked you several times (Both in private Messages in several Forums and in the threads directly) about some data which i know you own, to complete my Posts. Like the MK63 post i'm currently working on.
but unfortunately you never even replied to me...

I think it's very hard to find useful and collected Information online in some cases and i try my very best to get it right and get the Information together in a useable way for the General public.
I know some People have quite the knowledge and own all the documents, but i try to make it accessible for all in a more general way.
So bear with me if some Information got wrong along the way. Again i try my very best to have it right and confirmed with official documents or trustworthy sources.

So sorry for my mistake and i really appreciate your Inputs to improve my texts.

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch
typo correction

On ‎21‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 8:10 PM, NVZEE said:

So we can put this item to rest -- here's the partial label positioned over a complete Nissan label. A little tweaking was necessary to allow for the condition of the original, plus there are minor differences in scale between the two.

label1.jpg

Hope it's ok i used this Picture from you to prove my fail on my blog? Thanks for your work.
It's so obvious, i even got some NOS boxes with similar Stickers on it, i really wonder why i never got it :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Also @Alan, i asked you several times (Both in private Messages in several Forums and in the threads directly) about some data which i know you own, to complete my Posts. Like the MK63 post i'm currently working on.
but unfortunately you never even replied to me...

I know some People have quite the knowledge and own all the documents, but i try to make it accessible for all in a more general way.

Two points:

I have supplied data to you in the past - which you have used - but you never acknowledged, and never credited.

Over the years I have spent a lot of time, money and effort to seek out documentation, original photographs and data. I try to use it wisely, sparingly and when appropriately, and also try to understand it fully before utilising it. That includes how and when I 'share' any of it. Why would I simply give it all away for somebody to put on their 'blog' in the context that *they* choose, and without having any input? I get many, many requests for data and reference material and I do try to help with the majority of them, but I can't - sometimes won't - be able to help them all.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Two points:

I have supplied data to you in the past - which you have used - but you never acknowledged, and never credited.

Over the years I have spent a lot of time, money and effort to seek out documentation, original photographs and data. I try to use it wisely, sparingly and when appropriately, and also try to understand it fully before utilising it. That includes how and when I 'share' any of it. Why would I simply give it all away for somebody to put on their 'blog' in the context that *they* choose, and without having any input? I get many, many requests for data and reference material and I do try to help with the majority of them, but I can't - sometimes won't - be able to help them all.  

It's a bit off-Topic so maybe we can discuss this in a personal conversation. I Totally get your Point. same here.
Just wanted to mention that i have mentioned your Name at several places on my Website, and if i've missed it at some Point, please let me know, i will very happily update it with your Name.
Sometimes i just don't remember where i got the data from several years back. Also i missed to post sources in the early Posts, which i've changed since then.
Also it is free to anyone to comment on my blogposts in the comments section. i release and comment every comment there.

As said, i totally get your Point and it was never my Intention to offend you or anything near that. I really appreciate the snippets of informations you spread along the interwebs.
Together with the Information i have from original documentation (which i have to purchase from around the world as well), non factory documentation, FIA-homologations, etc. I try to puzzle together those Posts.

It would sometimes already be very helpful to just know where i can get the information. i don't want to be lazy, i work for my Information.
The big difference is that you seem to have far better sources and a bigger Network than me. so it makes it hard to get some informations that other have, and therefore complete things.

Also please, in future, if you feel like i've done something in a wrong matter, let me know directly - i will try my best to get it right. we're grown up men after all, right?

nevertheless thanks again for your Inputs and it's really a joy to read your Posts. Cheers

• Like 1