IGNORED

Prohibition on Gasoline Containing Lead or Lead Additives for Highway Use

Guycali

AVGAS from the pump, the bowser at ORAN Park pumped avgas for years, I never though anything of filling up before going home after the meet in the 80's & 90's. even the occasional 20lt drum for ron. Burn rates and addatives are the killer with avgas. they nearly killed the Australian General avaition fleet in 1999/2000 by F@#%$^** up the mix rate by a thousand to one for one additive.

LRP is fraud it does not protect or stop the effect of Zero Lead it just takes your money as and acts as a placebo while your engine goes thru its normal degrade to end game. they just found another way to suck money for nothing.

For my money pump ULP into the tank and rebuild as or if required, you will save money and have peace of mind getting there.

Important = Oh and re-tune for unleaded.

Cheers

Steve :classic:

Well, I bought this '72 last August and had just got it to running condition recently. It didn't occur to me to ask the previous owner whether he had added lead substitutes continuously with each fill-up or had the valve seats been replaced with the hardened ones when I bought the car. I just don't want to worsen its current condition any more.

Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) endorsed and approved lead substitutes were Millers VSP-Plus, Red Line Lead Substitute, Superblend 12 / Zero Lead 2000, and Valvemaster. Of the four brands, only Red Line is sold here in the U.S. I guess the generic brand I bought at Autozone won't give me much protection but at least it'll give a little peace of mind and get me on the road now. I wonder if any organization here in the U.S. had done a similar test comparison of lead substitutes?

The link I provided shocked me because of the phrase "on highways". Not sure the exact legality of the ruling but it may be legal to drive with lead substituted fuel locally but not on highways. That'd be strange though because combustion efficiency and fuel economy are worse in local driving than highway at constant speed. :stupid:

I've run AvGas from the plane several times in my Z here in the States. 100 octane high lead (although it's labled low lead). As far as I can tell, this "off road" fuel is not labled in any way that prevents it's use in "on road" vehicles... $2.30 a gallon but it boes well at 50/50 with unleaded.