IGNORED

question bout R200

stizzyflip611

hey, i got a 78 280z 5sp and im lookin to make her fast.

i found a R200 4.11 rear in the diffy, for like $200. i think my baby has an R180. i was wondering if the swap would be a direct bolt-on or would i have to change the driveshaft or the halfshafts? And do the R200 4.11 come LSD, thats wut i really want either a 3.90 LSD or better

Thanx

Andrew

Sorry to disagree Ivan, but no LSD's were available in the US until 87.

It could be an R-180 or an R-200. I know the 280's used both diffs, but I'm not sure if the 77-78's used only R-180's or both diffs. The 75's were R-200's only, not sure when the started switching.

You can put an LSD in either one, but you have to go aftermarket or if you are lucky enough, you might possibly still get a Nismo unit.

Stock ratios for the 280's were the same as the 240's, 3:36's for stick, and 3:54 for automatics.

If it's a 4:11 it has been changed or it's not from a Z, it could possibly have come from a 200sx Turbo, which might have an LSD in it.

if your R200 is out of a pre Z31 then it wont be LSD, to my knowledge only in the late 80's were R200 LSD's produced. these days, with so many conversions and mod's you wont know what youve got until you open it up and have a look. 260 and 280z's came with non LSD R200's, the 240Z had a non LSD R180.

• 1 month later...

i find and r200 lsd from an 86 300zx turbo. it probably is an upgrade by whoever owns it before. the back cover has fins and the other side shaft turnn on the same direction as you turn the other side, it should be an LSD.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Sorry to disagree Ivan, but no LSD's were available in the US until 87.

It could be an R-180 or an R-200. I know the 280's used both diffs, but I'm not sure if the 77-78's used only R-180's or both diffs. The 75's were R-200's only, not sure when the started switching.

You can put an LSD in either one, but you have to go aftermarket or if you are lucky enough, you might possibly still get a Nismo unit.

Stock ratios for the 280's were the same as the 240's, 3:36's for stick, and 3:54 for automatics.

If it's a 4:11 it has been changed or it's not from a Z, it could possibly have come from a 200sx Turbo, which might have an LSD in it.