IGNORED

Winter Blend Fuel

w3wilkes

Over in Fuel Injection it's mentioned that winter fuel is coming. Where I live we have some stations that sell non-ethanol blended gas that I use almost exclusively. This fuel will store much better than an ethanol blend because it doesn't attract moisture like ethanol and is way less corrosive on fuel system components.

I guess this is just a reminder that winter is coming and there are a few months where I live that the 240 probably won't be driven. Do you guys drain the fuel system or fill it full and use a "fuel treatment" for winter storage.

• Like 1

This "fuel" is a big lie just like "speculation" of the price of gas.  Govt should stop the energy cartel from these games.

With global warming the winters here now start in Feb (compared to November) and they are shorter..... it should be called "spring blend gas" if they wanted to sync with the actual period where the temp is significantly lower.

I wonder what they sell in Calgary where it can snow in August and you play golf in January.

• Like 1

In my still-running '78 Mercedes 450 I use only ethanol-free - that's Shell Premium where I live.  In my 240Z - which I just drove around the block  last weekend for the first time ever, some restorations needing more time than others - I plan to use nothing but ethanol-free.  Now if I were to drive either car in the winter I think I would would still run the good gas, but just add a small bottle of gas-line de-icer (methyl alcohol) every few tanks

With respect to whether to winter-store the cars with full or empty tanks, I drain in the fall to get any rust-causing moisture out of the system,  then fill it to the max with good gas and a bottle of fuel stabilizer.  I guess I could drain the tank and leave it dry all winter, but I prefer to start and run the engine every month or so as weather permits.  Now having said that, I profess no qualifications as a chemist and am only taking the word of others with respect to the efficacy of stabilizer.   So far it hasn't caused me any grief.