IGNORED

Starting problem

SeKcGamer

Put everything in and the car is running great. But after 30 min of driving. I have a leak coming from the fuel sending unit.

EDIT: I poured 3 gallons of gas that I had in a jerry can, then drove it around the subdivision like a maniac and parked it and checked under the tank and under the hood and no leaks. So after that I put fuel at the gas station just 2 blocks away and drove it for 30min. And I got back home that's when it started to leak.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

if you mean the fuel level sending unit, yes they can cause leaks. if you are lucky its just the O ring, if you are unlucky its the thru post themselves. I assume you removed it while working on sealing the tank.  Start by putting on a NEW ring, may as well buy a NEW lock ring as well, they are cheap. You need to make sure the sending unit is oriented properly for the gauge to work right. Take your time to make sure you have the O ring in correct and try to tighten the lock ring evenly, tap on all three prongs so it goes on concentric.

11 minutes ago, SeKcGamer said:

Going 30 minutes out to buy a gasket and ring for it. Since there isn't one here. Do I have to drop the tank to replace?

No you do not. you should jack up the car and remove the rear wheel passenger side to get better access. Always use a lot of care when the car is on jacks both from a personally safety stand point (of course) and not to damage the underside of the car. I remove the tire and put it under the frame rail as a backup in case the jack were to fail. I actually use the tire under the frame rail, a jack stand on the diff mount cross member AND leave the floor jack under the diff just enough to keep it snug. that way I have 3 points to keep the car up.

Edited by Dave WM

only need to get it below the sending unit. so if its actively leaking you will need to take it down until it stops. prob 3 or so gallons off full should do it. having it tilting forward will make it more likely to leak. you could just loosen the ring and see what happens, if it starts to leak tighten back up and drain some more.

the chocks are a good idea, but what you want to prevent is the ramps from collapsing.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

My last update hopefully[emoji23]: I got the right gasket from napa auto parts and installed it when the tank was down and my dad and I installed it back. After the installation it leaked a little at first. After we let it sit overnight, the next morning I went out to see if it was still leaking and nothing was leaking anymore. I drove it around some more and still didn't leak. So now the z drives as it should thanks to you guys. Thanks for this long journey and staying here till the end helping me out and getting the z out again. [emoji173]️

• Like 2