Interior panel squeaking - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Interior panel squeaking

Featured Replies

Hey guys! So after my restoration I've been getting a lot of squeaking and creaking from the rear plastic panels of my 280z. Usually its the worst when the car flexes a little (Like backing out at an angle over a driveway). The rear quarters and the rear headliner piece mostly. Has anyone found a good remedy for this? I was thinking of taking the pieces off and glueing some sort of felt or thin foam strip where they make contact. 

Edited by HaZmatt

The factory used strips of foam tape that by now has turned to dust.

Chuck

 

I had the exact same problem after reassembling my interior. I was ready to take the panels apart and add some felt strips until someone suggested spraying lubricant in the squeaking panel joints. It worked amazingly well. It's been over 18 months since and the car is still very quiet. I used a member of the WD40 line "Specialist Dry Lube PTFE Spray" which I found at Home Depot. Simply spray into the edges where the panels meet and wipe off the excess. You'll appreciate the silence.20170718_141026.jpg

  • Author
6 minutes ago, dmorales-bello said:

I had the exact same problem after reassembling my interior. I was ready to take the panels apart and add some felt strips until someone suggested spraying lubricant in the squeaking panel joints. It worked amazingly well. It's been over 18 months since and the car is still very quiet. I used a member of the WD40 line "Specialist Dry Lube PTFE Spray" which I found at Home Depot. Simply spray into the edges where the panels meet and wipe off the excess. You'll appreciate the silence.20170718_141026.jpg

Really? I would've never thought of this. Ill give it a shot

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.