IGNORED

Help on CV Half Shaft on R200 from 300zx turbo

If the groove is damaged and letting the clip slide back inside the diff, you might try doing some work on the tips of the axles so that they slide through the clip easier.  File or grind down any concentric machining grooves and grease up the tip so that it slides through instead of pushing the clip out of the groove.  Once the tip starts expanding the clip in the groove it should stay there until the axle groove hits and lets it drop in to place.

Ok. When I put the clip in the diff it goes into the groove, but when I push the axle in the clips comes out of the groove and ends ip just resting where the splibes begin in the diff. Is there really that little engagemnet between the diff splines and axles? Is the groove in the diff between splines? Right now I am putting it in a groove that as you move towards the center of the diff, there is smooth, no splines, groove, a bit more smooth and than the splines.

Also, if I grab the clip and I try to slide it into the axle groove outside of the diff, its supposed to be relatively easy to slide it into the groove, right? My clips are impossible to slide into the axle groove without using tools to get the id big enough to get it into the splines then slide it to the groove.

The groove in the diff is a slot in the splines.  I found when I was messing around with diffs and clips that the clips could be deformed and made too small or too big to work right.  They're not spring steel, they're just a bent metal wire.  Try expanding the clips, permanent deformation, outside the diff, then compressing them just enough to get them in to place in the internal groove.  You might have over-squeezed them when you installed them, so that they're too small to stay in the grooves.

Edited by Zed Head

Ok. Well you can see in the.picture there are 3 grooves on the smooth area. I am putting the clip on the 3rd groove. Then you see the spline, but no groove in the splined area. Could my diff be the one that needs the clips on the axles, but I have the wrong axles? I see no groove for the clip in the spline area, which seems to be the problem as to why it I can't get the clip on.

1498324045808-914383246.jpg

Maybe you don't have a Nissan CLSD.  I can't remember if the VLSD has the grooves in the same spot as the other diffs.  I know that it has a longer axle but don't remember where the grooves are.

What do your measurements show?

Thanks. That will help me some. 

To be honest I tried to measure inside the diff and I cant get a clear view. It also does not look like the 3rd groove I was putting the clip on matches to the axle. Again, the fact that I see no groove in the spline area is concerning. My diff just has a 392 casted on it. I know it has more numbers on top but I can't see them unless I drop the diff

Not the greatest picture but you can see the clip hanging in the grove, and that there is only about 1/8 to 1/4" of splne after the groove.  And no holes n the center piece.  Also a good picture of an R200.  Take a picture of the back of your diff and post it.

clip.PNG

diff and axles.PNG