IGNORED

To buy or not to buy...that is the question

motorman7

So, I am actually starting work on this guy again.  Slow, but it's coming along.    I was sidetracked for a bit with the 'Deja Vu' project and also had some house stuff to fix up. (I actually built a nice custom shed to store stuff in, like car parts.  I will get pictures of the shed later.  Very happy with how it turned out.) 

Anyway, I am starting the tear down as you can see in the pics.  I have learned that the key to this is to have nicely marked tubs to put your parts in.  Engine parts go in the engine tub, interior parts in the interior tub, parts to be zinced go in the zinc tub.  And as always, take lots of pics.  I love how original the car is; lots of the original wire clamps, heater  hoses, smog hoses, bolts that have never been removed and are in good condition.  This has been very easy to disassemble so far.  Took out the original antenna and bench tested; it works great.   Got the motor pulled out last weekend with the help of @Montezuma.  Hopefully, I will have this stripped in a month or two, then off to Miguel's for paint.  Here are some pics.   

DSCF6299.JPG

DSCF6281.JPG

DSCF6300.JPG

DSCF6301.JPG

DSCF6303.JPG

DSCF6305.JPG

DSCF6307.JPG

DSCF6310.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2017 at 5:41 PM, Hardway said:

If you really want it, ask the wife first.  Focus on how much they are going up in value and just how little this one needs to get running again.  Be prepared to offer something she has been wanting.  Whatever you do, don't surprise her with it.  Wives don't like surprises, unless it is wine or chocolate.

Mine doesn't drink and only prefers European chocolate!

Something I don't understand. If we were out boozing and chasing women they would be unhappy. BUT..........we are home in the garage steps away and they are unhappy! Maybe it's me. Sometimes it seems as if wives and girlfriends do everything they can to suck the fun out of everything if they are not the center of the fun, or if you are not in the center of their fun. WHAT GIVES? If all the bills are paid what is the problem? MOTORMAN.......the bills are paid......AREN'T THEY?:GRONDE:

Edited by esmit208
Grammar

Yes...bills are paid, wife is pretty much 'retired' (she volunteers a lot), so we are doing fine.  I know my wife's concern is that she feels that I spend more time with my cars than her.  She refers to my cars as 'The Mistresses'.

I think my wife is OK with me getting the cars because it means she can spend more money on the house.  Whenever she wants something done on the house, like a room remodel, new tile, and the like, she just has to say, 'You spent money on the cars, so I want to spend money on the house'.  For her, the cars are leverage.

19 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Yes...bills are paid, wife is pretty much 'retired' (she volunteers a lot), so we are doing fine.  I know my wife's concern is that she feels that I spend more time with my cars than her.  She refers to my cars as 'The Mistresses'.

I think my wife is OK with me getting the cars because it means she can spend more money on the house.  Whenever she wants something done on the house, like a room remodel, new tile, and the like, she just has to say, 'You spent money on the cars, so I want to spend money on the house'.  For her, the cars are leverage.

Good thing is the car (MISTRESS) doesn't talk back or give you the Ice Queen treatment. Good luck on the resto!

• 4 weeks later...

Continued tear down of the white car, taking detail pics along the way.  Definitely had to take pics of the  headlight switch and turn signal wiring because you know that I will remember that the white wire connects to the green wire, and the black/white wire connects to the blue/white wire ?.  I did get the dash out and heater and fan out.  Also nice to see the original heater hoses with the wire clamps on them.  Also got the door hardware stripped.  Here are a few pics.  With another 4 hours I can probably have this completely stripped and ready for sanding.

DSCF6349.JPG

DSCF6347.JPG

DSCF6345.JPG

DSCF6323.JPG

DSCF6333.JPG

DSCF6343.JPG

19 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Definitely had to take pics of the  headlight switch and turn signal wiring because you know that I will remember that the white wire connects to the green wire, and the black/white wire connects to the blue/white wire ?

Yeah, that kind of stuff drives me crazy! Especially since I didn't take enough pictures of mine when I took it apart....?

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

Yeah, that kind of stuff drives me crazy! Especially since I didn't take enough pictures of mine when I took it apart....?

True, seems like there are never enough pictures, and never pics of the exact item you are looking for.  I do have quite the library of pics here now.  I would bet that I have over 10K pics of 240Z's in some form of disassembly.  That always helps.