License Plate Lamps too bright - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

License Plate Lamps too bright

Featured Replies

Hi all.  Really getting excited, after 6 years without driving my 280z, I'm set to be back on the road in June. 

After a rod went through my block back in 2011, I found a used 280z engine and installed it myself, something I'd never done before.  (Rear main oil seal leaked a lot and ran out of oil after a long cruise....)  Thanks to these forums, which helped me a lot!

Not a huge issue, but an annoying one:

My license plate lamps are too bright!  I have the 240z bumpers on, and it illuminates the whole road on the rear.  They are just stock replacement bulbs (194 I believe).  Other cars have the plate lamps pointed more directly at the plate, ours just points down, causing the issue.

 

Anyone else notice this?  Any way to fix, without removing them? (I have enough tickets and don't need another reason to get pulled over...)

Thanks

Put a small piece of electrical tape on the lenses that will cover the filament part of the bulbs just allowing the light around the edges get through.  This should mitigate the refection caused by the bumpers.  

  • Author

Sounds like a very inexpensive solution that should work.  I think I'll do that.

Do you notice the same issue?  Due to the angle of the lamps?

Thanks for the input

The stock 240Z license plate lamp (as shown) housing have metal shield blocking the bulbs from directly shining down to the bumper.

I'm not sure if the 280Z setup is similar.

DvlgvsFzgooAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

Lots of speculation over why these shades were used.  No definitive explanation that I'm  aware of.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I actually have a "spare" 240z plate lamp housing from the junkyard, I think I'll look at it...

Unless mine (76 280z) has been tinkered with, I don't think it has these shields. 

Everyone must have this issue then, maybe it is not as noticeable with the stock 280z bumpers since they are larger, but I'm sure they would illuminate the bumper too much.

My 87 Monte SS had the lights mounted from the sides ----> plate <----- and my 99 Tahoe has them in a "shield" so the point directly at the plate. 

And my "lenses" are old and faded, I can only imagine how bright they would be new! 

Thanks all

 

go to your local parts store and find the lowest wattage bulb they have that fits the socket. then, install only one

I use scraps of window tint for things like this.

Alarm clocks, stereo displays, basically anything that shines too bright at night when I'm trying to relax.

If its too bright, it ain't right. Light pollution solution!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.