IGNORED

Getting the urge to upgrade in size

Weber tuning update. 

I have not ordered DCOE 45's, but I would love to try.

However I have decided to get my setup even more dialed in. Again, I have run the same setup untouched for 4 years now.  Car starts and drives beautifully. I decided to keep my LM1 wideband out visible while driving lately and found out how incredibly pig rich I was at 3000 rpm 4th gear steady state cruising. I decided that this was a main jet issue not an idle jet issue (due to the rpm) and checked my settings.  My air corrector was a 170 and my main jet was a 130. This combo gave me a 11:1 AFR at 3000 rpm. Far too rich for normal cruising.  This was with whatever Etube that came with my 151 DCOE 40's. I forget, F9 I think.  

Anyway, I decided to go down to a 125 main jet and leave the air corrector alone.  Car feels fine, if not a bit more crisp.   At 3000 rpm in 4th gear I am getting 12.3-12.5 AFR. now.  I have a set of 120's I will try this week.  If I can get around 13:1 I will declare victory and call it done. I have a beautiful idle at 850-900 rpm at 13.4:1 AFR. 

The webers prove to be so tunable yet again.  If I get these dead set and running perfectly I will have no other choice but to order 45's and start from scratch again.

You should be able to run stoich or even 15 to 1 at 3,000 rpm cruise with those carbs and proper tuning.  Literally, a well tuned set of Webers can almost equal fuel injection curves. Keep tuning. Maybe invest in a AFR gauge to mount permanently in car.  Gotta get the emulsion tubes bang on though...

• Like 2

This is the setup I used to run to achieve 420 hp on a daily driven 1986 Camaro. Could pull 25 mpg on Highway and set record times at Hillclimb. Aircare ( emissions testing ) came out as clean as specs for an FI engine.  Fairly mild cam, good HP figures and broad Torque band. Engine went to 7,200 at Hillclimbs.

https://www.facebook.com/TMPCarbs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKBwAruqXU

Edited by Chickenman
  • Like 1

Zedy - Dave Rebello is finishing up dyno'n my engine this week that he built for me (hopefully it will ship the end of next week after the dyno).  I did step up to Mikuni 44's (Custom ported 38's venturi's from Dave) with a bigger header primary,  and moving to a larger exhaust as well.  Really excited wiht the complete increase airflow and horsepower.  Come on now........you know you want to do it!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

You get out of my head you evil man!

LOL

On a really cool note. I took the time to mess with my air correctors this weekend.  I swapped out my thermostat and while the engine was warm I had a chance to try out my sync tool.   All of them were close to flowing the same volume of air.  However cylinders number 2 and number 6 were flowing a tad bit less air.  Having never touched my air correctors since the 40's were new, I gave it a shot to see what I could do.  I lightly backed off the jam nut and opened up the screw. The air flow quickly came up to match cylinders 1 and 5 and now all 6 cylinders are dead nuts even at idle.  And speaking of idle, the engine smoothed out even more than it was and it seems to be snappier off idle now.  I guess I am a believer in the air corrector adjustment.

• Like 2