IGNORED

Original Hub Caps

SDSI_2000

I am restoring my '71 240Z and was thinking of going back to the original Hub Caps. I currently have the mag wheels. Any suggestions or thoughts? I purchased 4 hub caps on ebay but they need to be repainted. Does anyone know what the original color is and where would I find it? What type of wheels do I need to put these on? Thanks, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

The wheels for your car should be 4 1/2 X 14" and if you want to be 100% accurate, they should have a manufacture date the same as or about a month before your car's. That date is stamped on the wheel after the letters "TOPY".

For the hub caps, if the set you bought aren't dented, you could clean them up real well, take one to your local auto paint store and have them match the color. Otherwise, be prepared to pay around $150 each for new or refurbished caps WHEN you can find them.

I think the '71 model year came with two different styles of hubcaps. Is your car a series I or series II car? Did you buy the "D" hubcaps or the "Z" hubcaps?

I'm sure the hubcap color should match the outside taillight panel. Someone found a very close match with a common paint brand found in most auto parts stores but I forgot the color number. Does anyone remember it? I found that the paint gave a gloss finish when the original was more of a satin or flat.

Koreavet

Those are some georgous wheel trims, but for that price I could have bought some 14'' by 6'' Watanabe's.

I am thinking about putting the original wheel trims on my car. How much would it be for the steel wheels, with original tires and caps in good shape? I could restore the caps as long as the chrome was not scratched.

-Ben