IGNORED

L24 getting started

Oleo1975

I finnaly dug my z out from under some snow and rolled it into the shop for the beging of an expensive journey. I am starting on the engine and have ordered "

How to midify your Datsun".

Does anyone know if this is a good polace to start? Also what is a good running Mild cam and what modification should I plan on for the head? Also this is a 73 so people have told me to junk the carbs because of problems with vapor lock. Any ideas there?

Matt,

That's a good place to begin. I would also consider buying a Haynes, Nissan, and Chiltons Zcar manuals. They all cover for each other in one way or another.

(warning aimless plug)

Also don't forget the Zcar Microfiche CD. If you're gonna order parts or need diagrams to work from in your garage, this is a MUST HAVE. Just click HOME and select Microfiche CD from the main menu.

You might want to make sure you also have a warm garage to work in with a good stereo. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you are right the flatop '73 carbs are known to be junk. I have a '73 too, and when I first bought it, it was allready setup with pre '73 carbs. The '73's are big ugly things with flat tops as compared to earlier ones.

Yes, you are indeed on your way to a $$ project. Words to the wise...have you defined your project yes. The most important question...Weekend warrior or daily driver? or full race car.

How much power, etc ? Yeah, its not easy, but it will help you figure out where to spend the money ( just considering you don't have unlimited cash flow ) You can't spend the big bucks on everything! I am just envisioning of a 350hp turbo motor in a stock looking z with 14" tires and rims....<grin>

Anyway, I have tried a number of cams, but it kinds of goes with displacement, head, carbs, exhaust. For ex. I used to have a 304dur/.515 lift cam on my 240 with triple 40 webers, headers, stock E88, msd igntiion. It was very unstreetable. The power wouldn't come on till 4500, then the motor would stop at 6200, because it needed a rebuild. Later on when I upgraded to a 280 motor, with ported N42 head, 44 mikunis, I went with a Schneider 270/280 split duration .515 lift. It ran good with good power from 3000-6500. My buddy just recently rebuilt his 240 motor. He went with a 284 duration .515 lift, with stock E31 with bigger valves, header, exhaust and it runs pretty good w/ good streetability. It comes on at about 2500rpm and goes 6200 or so. But, at this point he is limited by stock SU carbs. The SU carbs just don't provide enough breathing for his setup to go higher.

Yeah, lots of things to consider, but basically you have to match cam to carbs, compression ration, displacment, head, exhaust.

post-1108-14150791859232_thumb.jpg

Matt,So begins "hours of enjoyment".Not knowing how deep you were going to go into your engine,my response may be over kill.I have had much success with a company called ATK.They ship a 280 motor fully remanufactured to your door/no exchange.It comes witha 12/12k warranty and of course for a fee can be extended.I have bought 3(all for different Z's)and have found it to be cheaper/less headache and faster than do it yourself.Not only do you pickup horsepower using the 280 long block but you also get rid of the oil tube that is the death of alot of 2400 motors.The 280 has oil passages in the camshaft.Use a 240z gasket for intake/exhaust this covers the holes that the 280 uses for fuel injection.I'm a 73Z running the '75 280 with 72carbs/polished intake/header/aluminum flywheel/euro distributor(faster advance curve)It's faster than a speeding ticket!!haha.VERY DEPENDABLE!Of course if you want matching numbers or have a friend in the machine shop this may not be for you.ATK calif.1-800-421-3726.I did have to move the piece at the front of the cam that works the mech. fuel pump over to the 280.Your point distributor works fine also.It's SOOO easy! Have fun!!! Daniel

Originally posted by Daniel

I have had much success with a company called ATK.They ship a 280 motor fully remanufactured to your door/no exchange.It comes witha 12/12k warranty and of course for a fee can be extended.I have bought 3(all for different Z's)and have found it to be cheaper/less headache and faster than do it yourself.Not only do you pickup horsepower using the 280 long block but you also get rid of the oil tube that is the death of alot of 2400 motors.

How much do they charge for one of these engines? Shipping?

And, do they have a website?

Mike,The last one I bought was about 8years ago it was 1100.00.When I compared that to the cost of parts/machineshop/downtime/headaches not to mention no warranty when the job was FINALLY complete,It wasa darn good deal.I don't know of a website but there may be.No shipping charge!They deliver to your door you give cash or certified check.The engines are remanuf. in japan they don't want yours.It was something to do with japan emission control or something but their cores are less mileage than ours to start with.They also have trannys.Call the number I gave and they will send you a book.They have lots of import engines not just nissan.I have never had ANY problem from the engines I have purchased.I love easy.I love dependable! Daniel