IGNORED

HKS Type I Surge Tank For Sale

CDL1542

Hey everyone, I was thinking about going turbo with my Z but after sitting down and factoring in prices and what other things I want to do I've decided not to. I have a type 1 HKS Surge Tank which I recently painted wrinkle black. I masked off all the surfaces on the inner sides of the tank, back plate, and the piping and connecting area within and it's in fantastic shape. Could use another few coats to make it more wrinkled if desired, but I prefered a more subtle texturing with it. I put in a couple weeks worth of refinishing this and bringing it back to it's former glory and it's ready to go if you're thinking about going turbo! There are a mix of new and old bolts (have the other two as well as some extras and can provide part numbers if you want all new ones) Rare piece and the only thing I'm really looking for right now is a watanabe falcon steering wheel or even better: a glove box door signed by Mr. K if you have one you want to work out a trade with. Also looking for a set of long stalk fender mirrors!

I'm looking to get $1600 $1500 out of it shipped CONUS OBO but willing to negotiate the other items into a deal.

DSCN5143.JPG

DSCN5144.JPG

DSCN5145.JPG

DSCN5146.JPG

DSCN5147.JPG

Edited by CDL1542
Price drop, other trade items added.

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

Is that a "surge tank" or an "intake plenum"? I may be mistaken

It's the early, type 1 surge tank, not an intake plenum! It's for ITBs or triple carbs/blowthrough turbo setup. There isn't much of a difference between the type 1 and type 2 as far as functionality goes. I've heard with triple mikuni carbs you're good for 10-15 pounds boost.

It is hard to tell in the pics 3 & 4 if the three holes, are welded up or just really shiny because of the light.  Important to note that those holes go to the carb float vents, and pressurize/force more fuel through the jets under boost, making the mixture richer as is necessary (which is the brilliant thing about the way the HKS boxes work). If the holes are open still, it can be used for triple Mikuni or SK/OER carbs boosted to a max of 17psi if properly set up and intecooled (NOT Weber carbs though, which are not sealed well enough to be boosted). 

HOWEVER if the holes are welded shut, it will now work for ITBs, which after a lot of jetting, is the way I ultimately wish I had gone, but no longer for carbs! With the holes sealed, the carbs will lean out under boost, and surely cause detonation. With the holes open and ITBs, there will be a MASSIVE boost leak lol. You can always go from carb -> ITB setup, but you can never go back! So for any buyer with triple Mikunis looking to get this, make sure the seller clarifies if the holes have been welded first! And if you are looking for pure power, look to EFI for the love of all things holy! But if you want a retro cool wannabe Devil Z :rolleyes: this may be the setup for you, and me V  V  V

engine bay

19 hours ago, NevadaZ said:

It is hard to tell in the pics 3 & 4 if the three holes, are welded up or just really shiny because of the light.  Important to note that those holes go to the carb float vents, and pressurize/force more fuel through the jets under boost, making the mixture richer as is necessary (which is the brilliant thing about the way the HKS boxes work). If the holes are open still, it can be used for triple Mikuni or SK/OER carbs boosted to a max of 17psi if properly set up and intecooled (NOT Weber carbs though, which are not sealed well enough to be boosted). 

HOWEVER if the holes are welded shut, it will now work for ITBs, which after a lot of jetting, is the way I ultimately wish I had gone, but no longer for carbs! With the holes sealed, the carbs will lean out under boost, and surely cause detonation. With the holes open and ITBs, there will be a MASSIVE boost leak lol. You can always go from carb -> ITB setup, but you can never go back! So for any buyer with triple Mikunis looking to get this, make sure the seller clarifies if the holes have been welded first! And if you are looking for pure power, look to EFI for the love of all things holy! But if you want a retro cool wannabe Devil Z :rolleyes: this may be the setup for you, and me V  V  V

engine bay

Holes are NOT welded shut. They're still shiny and I masked them off before painting to keep them open, so carbs are still an option! I was going to go with the retro cool Devil Z setup on my 3.1L stroker but after I started figuring out the prices of just about everything else I realized that it was out of my price range at the moment. Worse comes to worse, I'll sit on it and pick the rest of the pieces up over time. Bringing it back to life was a fun project in itself.

• 3 weeks later...