full set of metric 3/8" and 1/2" drive 12 point sockets

full set of Metric Combo Wrenchs

Small set of Standard & Phillips Screwdrivers

Regular Pliers

Channel-Lock Pliers

1/2" drive 10-150 ft/lb Torque wrench

Big & Small Hammers

I frequently use the following:

10 mm Flare nut wrench (or Aldenwrenches - www.aldenwrench.net ) for brake line fittings

Small Needle-Nosed Vice-Grips for help with screws with stripped heads, and brake line fittings that are already dammaged.

Ohm-Meter for Electrical troubleshooting

Brass Drift for replacing Wheel Bearings

Pickle Fork or Pittman Arm Separator for Tie-Rod Ends and Ball Joints.

Spring Compresser Set for Suspension work

My brother has a great spanner set that has a ratchet system on the ring end. This means that when you are in a tight spot and can't rotate the spanner all the way around you can just ratchet it backwards and forwards like you would with a socket set.

I would not call them invaluable but they impressed me, put them on the nice to have list.

a decent floor jack with wheels large enough that will roll over the crud found under a car. ample size jack stands and or ramps to ger the car up off the ground. this is in addition to the things mentioned in privious posts. A tap and die set and good quality drill bits. Decent lights to be able to work and see in the evening. a asortment of vice grips . thats my 2 cts :classic:

If you're buying new tools like spanners and screwdrivers etc. I highly recommend the brand METRINCH. They're a bit pricey but my uncle bought me some for my birthday(s) and they're really quality stuff. I expect them to last my lifetime, and if not, they have a lifetime guarantee anyway.

They have both metric and imperial sizes in them, hence the name, Metr-inch.

Originally posted by tanny

Duct tape.

LOL

Yes, how could have everyone forgotten that?

I just found a nice set of 3/8 wratchet set from Repco with lifetime warranty for $134. One of my mechanic friends will buy it for me at a discount though so it's a good deal either way.

Originally posted by tanny

Duct tape.

Ya won't find Duct Tape in my tool box! Of course I don't do body work, but IMO Duct Tape is for Half-arse Repairs and I won't have any of that going on with my Z!

I *think* I have a small roll somewhere in the house, but I can't remember the last time I used it, nor where I put it. ROFL

a magnetic tool to pick up dropped sockets, wrenches, nuts, bolts etc...

any seasoned mechanic will tell you that no matter where you are working on a vehicle, if u drop something it will always come to rest at the exact center of the vehicle....

has happend to me enuff times that its almost scary how consistant it is!

Depending on your budget I would recommend getting a compressor and air tools. Since I got mine last spring life has completely changed:love: Especially since I no longer have to go to the gas station to fill my tires.ROFL 2 sets of jack stands to get all 4 corners up off of floor is nice. This isn't so much a tool but foam pipe insulation to wrap around the handle of your floor jack is nice. Keeps from scratching the ground effects. The variaty of wrenches spoken of earlier, magnetic tray for bolts and nuts and beer for afterwards.:classic: