IGNORED

Siezed Tie Rod end

24OZ

Hi,

I can't get the steering knucle off the tie rod end... Is this a common problem?

I have removed the bolt and tried hammering and it still will not come off. I've been trying for the last hour or so. Any ideas?

Also, should the steering knucle be flat as mine has a small bend towards towards the length going to the tie rod. Keith do you happen to have a picture of what a good one looks like?

Thanks..

The bend you describe is normal.

you need to use a tool commonly called a 'ball joint separater" (slang name is "Pickle Fork") to remove the steering knuckle from the tie-rod end. Easiest done as a first step before knuckle is removed from strut/ball joint assembly. I do this first when disassembling the front end of a car. The tie-rod end threaded part is tapered and fits very tightly.

Carl,

thank you for the reply, by the way I was shocked about the damage bambi caused to your car, glad insurance paid out.

Going back to my tie rod end, I have also realised that I have gone a bit wrong on the order I have done things and now that I need more leverage, a tie rod end dangling from the steering rack with a steering knucle attached on the other end isnt helping, I will be putting the control arm back on and the steering knucle back onto that.

I don't have a pickle fork, i was using something that resembles a pitman arm puller. I never turned the screw all the way, i will try to go a bit further with that and if not I will have to get the pickle fork.

I was relieved to hear the knucle is supposed to have a slight bend in it :)

By the way, at the moment the control arm is off and my shocks are jsut hanging with the hub still attached, i have placed bricks underneath the shock to take the weight. Should be ok??

Another question please:

Can someone tell me which sides of the tie rod drivers or passenger side, have the reverse thread.

Also, does it matter that i have turned the tie round full circle a couple of tiems, is it just a ball joint on the steering rack that is turning round and around?? I am not loosening anything am I?

Sorry for the :stupid: questions.. This a real learning curve for me.

Thanks everyone.

Actually George, a Pitman arm puller should make it easier than the pickle fork... Just spray it with some penetrating fluid, put the puller on it and put as much pressure as you can without it slipping off, if it doens't separate, take a hammer and hit the end of the steering arm a couple times and it should just pop right out....

As far as which way the threads are... well, I'd have to go look myself.

There's a joint in the steering rack, so turning it won't hurt... and the strut hanging like that shouldn't hurt...

Originally posted by 24OZ

i was using something that resembles a pitman arm puller. I never turned the screw all the way, i will try to go a bit further with that and if not I will have to get the pickle fork.

A Pttman arm puller can work too. Be sure the screw is centered, spray some penetrant fluid on the tie-rod end, and tighten the screw. The one bad thing about the pickle fork is that it will destroy the rubber boot on the tie-rod end. Not a big deal if you already plan to replace it.

By the way, at the moment the control arm is off and my shocks are jsut hanging with the hub still attached, i have placed bricks underneath the shock to take the weight. Should be ok??

Hanging like that is fine, just don't whack your head on it when working under the car. I usually remove mine all the way, but hanging like that should not be a problem.

Can someone tell me which sides of the tie rod drivers or passenger side, have the reverse thread.

Sorry, I don't remember, but if you have a Haynes manual, I believe that it mentions which is which

Also, does it matter that i have turned the tie round full circle a couple of tiems, is it just a ball joint on the steering rack that is turning round and around?? I am not loosening anything am I?

Sorry, I can't help with this question as I've never opened up the steering rack and have no experience in that area. I don't think rotating loosens anything, but it may or may not change alignment. But since you have the front end all apart, you're going to need to have the alignment done anyway.

Hi Carl, Keith,

thank you very much for the information..

I am relieved to hear that its ok to have my struts dangling like that... :).

I will give the pitman a good go and with a bit of luck I should have it free.

Keith, don't worry about finding out which sides of the tie rod end have reverse thread, as Carl quite rightly said, the haynes manual will have that info. I haven't checked yet, but i will.

With everyones help I am slowly becoming "competent" :classic: (I will not use the word expert as I am far from it) on the Z front suspension. I couldn't have got this far without the good will and helpfullness of everyone on this site.

Thanks a million guys. I'm getting there!

If you measure the distance between the two tie rod ends, like from lock nut to lock nut while the steering is centered, then when you put it back together the allignment won't be too far out of whack. Then you can drive it to the allignment shop and have it squared away.

I broke the head off the axe, then snapped the pitman arm puller doing this, finally lashed out and got a pickle fork, three taps later and it just fell out. Go for the pickle fork, they can be had cheaper than breaking the pitman arm puller.