IGNORED

Source for OEM electrical connectors

the_tool_man

Yeah, that AFM connector without the retaining clip is probably why the OP's connector looks like. I did my harness rebuild two years ago maybe, and I don't think my AFM connector clip was missing, but I didn't put it back on for that pic. It's probably in the bag with the rest of the connectors I replaced.

As for which cars the connectors came from? It's a non sequitur. I bought those connector shells new, not from donor vehicles. I wasn't' sure which style I would like the best but in the end (since I didn't have a rubber boot that fit either of them) I used the style with the secondary retaining lid as insurance to help hold the contacts in place.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, Captain Obvious said:

If it's not too late, you might want to order a couple extra of the crimp contacts in case you get a couple that you have to re-do. I don't know how much experience you have with that kind of work, but it often requires "the knack". Wouldn't be surprised if you got a couple crimps that don't turn out as nice as you wish until you Get The Knack.

I think I've got some of those kinds of parts in a box somewhere... If I can find that box, I'll take some pics of what I have.

Also, out of curiosity... If you're putting new crimp contacts on the wires, then what do you need the extractor tools for? The old contacts are all green and corroded anyway. Aren't you just going to clip them of the ends of the wires?  :)

I ordered some extras.  I've done crimping before, just not with these specific connectors.  I got the pin removal tools for two reasons: 1: so I could disassemble the connectors before trimming the wires, as I want to keep as much of the original as possible (the AFM cable in particular doesn't have much slack in it), and 2: because I might need to take one apart for some reason other than to replace a crimp.  Or maybe I just like accumulating tools.

19 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I found my box of connectors and snapped a couple pics. Here's some options for AFM connectors.

Original brittle shell and cracked dry-rotted boot on top, and two new options below:
P1080780_zpsyjttonfy.jpg

The bottom left has a boot retaining feature similar to the OEM connector shell, and the one on the right has a redundant contact retaining hinged door to help hold the contacts in place:
P1080781_zpsdczlq3kf.jpg

Here's another shot so you can see how the hinged contact retaining lid works:
P1080782_zpsbbgxfw8j.jpg

My connector does look just like the top one in your photos.  There was no wire on it.

I haven't heard anything back from Kurk.  So I gave up on him and ordered this kit from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161969530205

Since I bought the extraction tool for the pins, I have the option of using new pins on the original wires, if they're long enough.  If not, I can splice the pigtails.

Edited by the_tool_man

I understand about wanting the extractor tools and good luck with the project.

With the exception of the big ECU connector, I redid all the connectors on my EFI harness a while ago and have been very happy with the outcome. Reliable and predictable. Nothing intermittent, and nothing that I have to question as to the integrity.

That kit from ebay gives you the option of splicing wires or pulling the contacts out of the housing and crimping new contacts directly onto your wires. Either way should result in better connections. Just make sure you clean the male contacts in all the mating parts. Having fresh clean female contacts in the shells being mated to green corroded pins in things like the AFM and WTS won't do you any good.