IGNORED

73z turn signal wiring photo?

Rick Bolus

I am hoping someone has a photo or three of their conections, as you can see several of these single leaf ones are tied into diferent color wires. The challenge was the car was in pieces when I got it so I have no guidelines to be sure these odd single ones are hooked up right. A photo of working 73 set ups will help a lot. Thanks for everyone's contributions. 

Edited by Rick Bolus

If you are worried about a single wire on the turn signal switch side, the green wire on the switch goes to a white wire. The individual wires on the combo switch side that I can recall off the top of my head:

White/red - incoming headlights

Red - goes to fuse box for headlights

Black - Ground (10 or 12 AWG)

The wiper wires, parking light wires, and horn wires should be in a 9 pin connector IIRC. The wires for the key buzzer are probably one green and one black (14 or 16 AWG).

As Pete said, use the wiring diagram to match things up.

On January 28, 2016 at 7:25 AM, beermanpete said:

I can't tell much from your photos. You need a factory service manual with the wiring schematic so you can trace the wires by color through the car as you troubleshoot the problem. I think you can get a free copy from xenonzcars.com. Since you have no power at the turn signal switch it seems like the problem lies elsewhere. Does the car run? Does anything that is controlled by the ignition switch work (i.e. radio, heater, wipers)?

Power for the turn signals runs from the ignition switch to the fuse box, then to the hazard switch, then to the flasher, then to the turn signal switch. Start by checking for power at the 20 amp fuse for the turn signals. It should be hot when the key is in the on position. Check the fuse itself and (assuming it is goog) clean it and the clips it snaps into. Next, check for power at the two green wires on the hazard switch. One is the feed from the fuse box, the other goes to the flasher. Next check for power at the flasher (the one with a green wire and a white wire, the other flasher is for the hazards). Next, check for power on the white wire at the turn signal switch. The first place without power tells you the component upstream, or a connection in-line from it is the problem.

On 1/29/2016 at 3:43 PM, Rick Bolus said:

Today I checked power as per beermanpetes suggestion. I have power at BOTH terminals on the flasher lead with the two leads. Jumping both together still did nothing. 

Now you need to follow the white wire (it is white, right?) out from the flasher, through the wiring harness, to the combination switch. The '73 wiring diagram shows the wire being white all the way to the turn signal switch. If you have different year parts it could be different. Since you have no power at the switch there must be an open circuit between the flasher and the combination swtich. If the wires are simply hooked up wrong you will have power at the switch but on the wrong wire.

Be aware that all-black is ground.

In your photos you show a singe white wire (coming from the switch) conected to a single black wire. This seems suspicious. Is there a singe white wire on the instrument harness side (wire loom) that has a matching connector?

I have a '73 but long ago removed the wiring and set-up the car for race track use, so I cannot take any photos or look at the wiring layout for comparison to what you have.

On January 31, 2016 at 10:35 PM, beermanpete said:

Now you need to follow the white wire (it is white, right?) out from the flasher, through the wiring harness, to the combination switch. The '73 wiring diagram shows the wire being white all the way to the turn signal switch. If you have different year parts it could be different. Since you have no power at the switch there must be an open circuit between the flasher and the combination swtich. If the wires are simply hooked up wrong you will have power at the switch but on the wrong wire.

Be aware that all-black is ground.

In your photos you show a singe white wire (coming from the switch) conected to a single black wire. This seems suspicious. Is there a singe white wire on the instrument harness side (wire loom) that has a matching connector?

I have a '73 but long ago removed the wiring and set-up the car for race track use, so I cannot take any photos or look at the wiring layout for comparison to what you have.

I just followed beermanpetes guide. Still no turn signals but wipers and headlights and horn are fine

here's what is hooked up and what I question still  and can tell the forum  

2 poles l shaped plug under drivers feet are the signal/flasher are solid white and solid green  

single pole red flat lead under switch is always hot even with key off  

Single spade white wire under colum still has zero power

if I tie red and black single spade leads under colum together-this will send power to the green wire side of the flasher 

If the single green under colum is tied to the solid white there is still no power

if I direct or hot wire a lead to the single green spade lead under colum from turn signal loom arm assy both left and right turn signals will light up left or right as they are chosen including dash icons both will illuminate left or right, but no flashing occurs 

thanks for everyone's continued input 

Probably causes of no voltage at the green wire are

1. Bad fuse (3rd down on the left side)

2. Disconnected hazard switch

3. Dirty contacts/bad hazard switch

Here's a guide on the early hazard switch. Ironically, I have not done one on the 73 despite the fact that I have an extra lying about somewhere in the garage.

36 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Probably causes of no voltage at the green wire are

1. Bad fuse (3rd down on the left side)

2. Disconnected hazard switch

3. Dirty contacts/bad hazard switch

Here's a guide on the early hazard switch. Ironically, I have not done one on the 73 despite the fact that I have an extra lying about somewhere in the garage.

Steve the hazards are working fine. All fuses ok however: the two fuses on upper passenger side do not have power but both headlights tail lights are fine. Keep in mind this Zcar was in pieces when I bought it, shell only with everything was in boxes. That's why I suspect I have a wire hooked up wrong or missing but I can't find it. 

The hazards can work fine, but that doesn't eliminate #3. Did you check the fuses with a meter?  Visual inspections don't work. The best way is to pull the fuse and check with an ohmmeter. 

I linked guides to go by. They have detailed instructions. One includes a wiring diagram of the full system you are diagnosing. Read them and attempt follow them. If you have questions about the guides, ask.