IGNORED

RHD Combo switch for Sale. $400 USD

zKars

I was rooting through my collection of Z combo switches looking for a 70-71 set for my '71 project and I grabbed this one and was mightly confused for a minute (not all that unusual actually....).  Everything seemed to be a mirror image, then it dawned on me. RHD! Now where the heck did I get this???? No clue actually. But I can't imagine needing or using it. So it's up for grabs. 

This is definitely a series 1 switch, it has the ground side head light switch wiring.  Nice condition. All switches work smoothly, even the high beam. Turn signal lever is tight, none of the usual slop. I have not opened the switches to clean contacts. Connector plugs are all in really good shape. It all needs a good cleaning, but nothing other than age related dirt.

No clue what this puppy might be worth, but I'll start with a $400 USD asking price, and take offers and see what the value is by polling the masses and let the offers define the value. Let me know what you think.  Get me at z240@shaw.ca for fastest response. 

Remember the proceeds are going toward the resto of a nice early '71, not to party supplies. Well, maybe a little, man can't sand and weld and re-wire all day for heaven's sake!

image.thumb.jpg.13ff5976e343f14cf0cae647

image.thumb.jpg.79f467d11a0418112097c010

image.thumb.jpg.654211f42394d5da2674277e

image.thumb.jpg.273e080b6c1bef6788f7c9c5

Do you know if these actually work? The price you've listed it for seems a bit high. I've seen NOS sell for that price (but I'd have to double check to confirm). I know someone with a Fairlady Z in the states I'll let them know about it.

All contacts on the switch check out with a VOM for continuity and insulation. It's in very good shape. I've felt/used many of these switches and this one is "tight" so the "mileage" is realitively low. I've done nothing to clean it up. 

I really hate pricing stuff. There are just so few prior sales made known of these switches to use for comparison. That's why I made all the noise about letting the market speak. I'm tempted not to put an asking price in at all, just take offers, but I think a number has to be mentioned, and clearly it has to be "high" as very few people will offer more than asking. I will be taking the high offer, whether it's $50 or $5000. 

I've promised to post the finally selling price to let the market know this data point for future reference. Anyone please feel free to post what you think it's worth. Remember the asking price does not determine the value. The finally selling price does that. How many sellers have been raked over the coals for crazy high asking prices for stuff, when in fact that number has nothing to do the value. Please be kind.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, zKars said:

The switch set has been sold for $300. Thanks to all interested parties.

Wow, where did you sell it? ebay?  Yours looks to be a newere one. Are you sure thats from a 70?  The connector on mine looks to

be an older style.  Your turn signal connectors look like 74-76 style.  Heck i've got 2 i should probably sell.   Both have the pass function.

DSCF1736.JPG

Edited by hr369

I sold it right here in the classifieds! This is the For Sale section isn't it?

I quite sure mine is the early switch. The picture you showed is of a later switch.

The key to telling them apart is the head light switch wires. On the late 71 and later, the main HL on-off switch has a White/Red power wire from the battery, and a red one exiting the switch. This goes to the fuse box to energize the headlights. On 280's these WR and R wires get quite thick, I think 10 gauge and the bullet connectors get bigger too. Trying to make things better. Yet they keep the same switch... Sheesh...

On the early switch, they switched the ground side of the circuit leading to the dimmer to turn the Headlights on, and the wire colors and routing of the HL switch wires are different. They use black wires bringing "ground" from the chassis, through the switch, to a red wire, that jumpers over to the center of the dimmer switch. The head lights common terminals are hard wired directly to the HL fuses to energize them.  This was an early design, after this they all use the "switch on the hot side to the fuses" approach with the WR in and R out until 78. At least in North America.

Also 280 switches are easy to tell apart from 240's. The HL/Wiper stalk angles up 15 deg or so, while all the 240 stalks are horizontal ( and hidden very well by the steering wheel spokes, hence the change in 74)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2016 at 1:11 PM, zKars said:

I sold it right here in the classifieds! This is the For Sale section isn't it?

I quite sure mine is the early switch. The picture you showed is of a later switch.

The key to telling them apart is the head light switch wires. On the late 71 and later, the main HL on-off switch has a White/Red power wire from the battery, and a red one exiting the switch. This goes to the fuse box to energize the headlights. On 280's these WR and R wires get quite thick, I think 10 gauge and the bullet connectors get bigger too. Trying to make things better. Yet they keep the same switch... Sheesh...

On the early switch, they switched the ground side of the circuit leading to the dimmer to turn the Headlights on, and the wire colors and routing of the HL switch wires are different. They use black wires bringing "ground" from the chassis, through the switch, to a red wire, that jumpers over to the center of the dimmer switch. The head lights common terminals are hard wired directly to the HL fuses to energize them.  This was an early design, after this they all use the "switch on the hot side to the fuses" approach with the WR in and R out until 78. At least in North America.

Also 280 switches are easy to tell apart from 240's. The HL/Wiper stalk angles up 15 deg or so, while all the 240 stalks are horizontal ( and hidden very well by the steering wheel spokes, hence the change in 74)

Thanks, there are so many variations on these.  I've verified one of mine is a 9-71 thru 7-72 and the one i posted you are correct it a later style. It's is a 74-76. I've heard that you can solder on different harnesses to make it fit other years. Not sure on that since i've never done it.

I've put the earlier one on ebay for the same price as you got. I'm curious to see what it fetches.

DSCF1783[1].JPG

DSCF1779.JPG

Edited by hr369