IGNORED

Swapping cams one engine to another

HuD 91gt

Yeah, after looking at both cams, they look very similar to the naked eye. I don't see any other markings in the L24 cam to say it's a regrind. Maybe I'm just imaging things.

Here are the pictures of the wear on my L28 cam.

What's all that red showing on the lobes? Reflection from a space heater? Curious.

Zed head, there was some slight rust on the cam. I knew this when installing the motor and one of the reasons I am planning to Rebello cam kit. I was planning on running this for the time being, so I tossed in some cheap 10w30 I had laying around. I figured I'd change the oil in a couple hundred miles. The rust can't be good for it.

I finally took the car for a little drive in the city and the plot thickens. I have some pretty decent clouds of smoke of the white/blueish colour when coming to a stop on deceleration. I'm trying to decide of I should pull the whole motor, be without a car for a few months and do a whole rebuild, or may just try and pop in some valve stem seals when I order a cam kit. I shouldn't be frustrated as I knew it was a risk putting in this unknown engine, but I still am. Definitely a puts a downer on the day.

I also think I may need a driveshaft,

Or perhaps get this one rebalanced. Which doing the swap, I had the front of the car jacked up, and a jack supporting the rear of the transmission when I disconnected the tranny mount. I dropped the front of the car, before I pulled the engine and forgot about the tranny jack. Could have put some

Decent stress on the driveshaft u joints I'm sure. I feel a slight wallow now when driving, but it could be completely in my head.

Add me to the growing list of engine frustrated classic z car members.

Siteunseen, just because I'm in canada doesn't mean we always have heaters going. My igloo car garage stays warm enough as it is haha. The picture is upside down so I think that is just the reflection from my orange paint on the cam. I polished the bay up when the engine was out ;)

Edited by HuD 91gt

Bummer.  Now you'll get to have some real fun, deciding what to use and what will work together.  That was the hardest part for me, reading all the possibilities and making a final plan.  It gets frustrating going around in circles trying to get the best bang for your bucks.

Sorry to hear your troubles, you/we were excited about that ZX motor.  :(

It looked good though!