IGNORED

12V Auto Vacuums

TomoHawk

I think I'd like to get a different 12Volt car vac.  The one I have looks like a little shop vac:

$_35.JPG

This mini vac has the convenience of storing the hose and crevice tool inside, and if you plug the hose into the exhaust port on the top, you can use it to inflate things.

My requirements are a 12VDC power source, a hose longer than 24 inches, and a small size.  A bagless device and cost of under $40 or $50 (tops)  would be nice too, but would depend on the features. Think of it as a vacuum you can take on a car trip.

Although that little shop vac works, sort of, I'd like one that is a little fancier, with better suction and a longer hose.  After browsing some, I found the Black & Decker pad1200 flex auto vacuum to be of my liking. 

61JJmo3fIOL._SY355_.jpg

It's got a 4 ft. hose and some attachments, and it's bagless, so you just unscrtew the drum from the center to empty the dirt.  It's about $40.

This other mini vac seems like it would work too:

41AiwndNkHL._SX300_.jpg

The only problem with it is that it needs 120VAC!  They don't have a 12VDC version.

Does anyone have a favourite car vac that meets the requirements?

Tomahawk

I got one exactly as you describe off eBay.

Copy and paste this item number 310991051384 it is around $20. depending who you get it from.

Or type in Wet Dry Auto Vac

and there is quite a choice. Snoop around for the best price.

Looked some up, reviews aren't great for most of the 12 volt ones. I like the vacs at the self-serve carwash. Super suction, and since a dollar only buys 5 minutes, it motivates me to work fast. No attachments, though, unless you bring your own.

Hey guys how do these mini vac's work? Can't imagine with twelve volt power they have a lot of suction.

It depends on the technology involved in the motor.  The newest stuff would probably rip your arm off (so-to-speak) but you'd spend over $100 for what's basically a Dustbuster.  In fact, most of the cheaper car-vacs LOOK like a Dustbuster. 

I even considered buying an expensive (Dustbuster) if it had great suction, and converting it for a hose, but there is no such thing.

Actually, I'd like to have one for next weekend, or a trip, but it looks like you can only get the good ones online.  So I will go with the little shop-vac I have.

Tomahawk

I got one exactly as you describe off eBay  310991051384 it is around $20.

Or type in Wet Dry Auto Vac

and there is quite a choice. Snoop around for the best price.

Mine was $6 at a local clearance store.  It performs at the $6 level, which means you need twice as long to do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the 23V car vacuums have a good amount of suction for basic vacuuming.  Mine is even able to inflate my little inflatable boat. IMO, The only things that get to be problem is the wire that gets caught on things or gets tangled, the attachments that you can lose, and the hose that either won't stretch out because it wants to stay coiled, or it's just bulky from the size & length.

Edited by TomoHawk

Why 12v?  I have a 5 gallon shop vac with a HEPA filter mounted to the wall in my garage with 15' worth of hose.  It reaches the first 2 car stalls or all the way down the driveway in the first stall.  Its one of my most useful garage tools

post-22465-0-64874300-1436293663_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

The vacuum I finally purchased was the Black & Decker PAD1200 flex vac.  It has a 12ft power wire, a 4 foot hose, an easily-emptied dirt compartment (it's a "bagless" device) and the handle houses part of the hose, which has one of the attachments already on it, and you don't even need to detach it to vacuum.  It looks bigger than it actually is.

There is also a battery-powered version, the FHV1200.

513gOJx4VHL.jpg