N47 on L24 needs help - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

N47 on L24 needs help

Featured Replies

Here is the scoop - Fresh hone and rings in .030 over flat top pistons in the L24. laped the valves on the N47 and assembeled with new gaskets.(cylinder compression is at 180 psi across all 6 cylinders) I have the fuel injection for the '78 head all figured out. Last night i started it up. Started up on the first piston to the top- i was excited!!! After timing it - i let it run about 8-10 min. to clear the cylinders of the assembly oil and seat the rings alittle. I shut it off to have a celibration ciggerette. I have oil dripping out of the header - I ran it some more - Dripped alot more - ran it some more - dripped more - after about 1 hour of the smokie shop i decided something is not right - Go to the site and ask -- ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS ???

- Jeff

Valve seal sounds like the most likely culprit....Other than that a guide is abou tthe only thing I can think of... unless you want to think about the worst thing that could happen...

I think the first thing you should do is pull the valve cover and rockers and check the valve stem seals, perhaps one is crimped or ... you forgot one?:ermm:

  • Author

I'll have a lok on tues. evening.

Thanks 2Manyz

- Jeff

2many, wouldn't the pressure from the exhaust prevent oil seeping down the exhaust guide?

It should Ed, but if it's on an intake valve, you'd have a vacuum that would suck it right into the cylinder....

The only other things I can think of that would cause this are not good...

Oil rings not having the end gaps spaced correctly,head gasket, head cracked, block cracked. So now you see why I'm hoping it's something simple...

It could possibly be he just used too much oil assebling it, but it should burn off rather quickly. If it runs and continues to smoke even after 15 to 20 minutes of idling, then I'd say there has to be someplace oil is getting into the cylinder somehow.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

2MANYZ - lets hope valve seals are where the problem lies.

cross your fingers for me - i'll see it tomarrow.

- Jeff

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.