Pertronix 91761 Ignitor II for 1972 240z? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Pertronix 91761 Ignitor II for 1972 240z?

Featured Replies

Is the Pertronix 91761 Ignitor II any real improvement (45,000 v) for a 1972 240z? I read it is used with a Pertronix Ignition Coil 45011 which is 0.6 ohms only http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-45011-Flame-Thrower-Volt-Coil/dp/B00199DPWQ/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y ! In this scenario would i still need to connect to the stock ballast resistor?

  • 5 months later...

FWIW - I don't run a II, just the original, but for like 14 years. I used the Flamethrower coil, and no ballast resistor. I'm thinking about getting a II next year with the new coil as well, because I just removed a dead MSD 6a that I don't want to replace, and I'm thinking maybe the II will help with cold starts.

From what I learned from other posts her and other Z sites, the ballast resistor is there to protect the stock setup. If you leave it in place, you are not getting full juice from your new coil. YMMV....

No stock ballast required. The 0.6 ohm coil and Pertronix Ignitor II are a matched set.

The "II" has dwell, or amperage, control.  The "I" doesn't.

I guess the Igniter 2 wasn't available for 240 z until fairly recently. It solves the  problem of burning itself out if the ignition is left on, correct?

 

Wondering if the usual NGK plugs and wires would still be the right choice, and if there are other issues. Early and late type tachometers still work? Any issues with using digital timing lights? 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.