IGNORED

Tranny swap.

Hey, did a search for some info but couldn't find much.

Well, my tranny kicked the bucket today. Looks like it's time for a swap. I've heard that it's possible to swap in later model 5 speeds in the earlier models, (such as my 70 that came with the 4 speed...) What years should I shoot for and what's involved? I heard that the only modification needed was to widen the hole for the shifter due to the 5 speed shifter being located further forward. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Ben

Look at this page and then decide what kind of overall gear ratios you want, that is if you are going to keep the stock rear end ratio. You have a choice between a 2.90 or a 2.50 overall gear ratio in 5th with the stock 3.36. If you want a 2.9 go with the 77-78 5 speed, if you want a 2.50, go with the 79-83 ZX 5 speed.

Just remember to use the same speedo drive in the 5 speed or you might possibly have a speedo that reads wrong, and make sure you use the collar and fork that comes with the 5 speed for the throw-out bearing. Everything else is a simple bolt in.

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/ratios.gif

I had an '81 5 speed installed in my '75 280Z a few months ago when my original 4 speed went out.

My mechanic/friend had to bend the shift lever towards the rear about 2 inches to place it at the original location in the tunnel/console. By doing so that lowered the top of the lever. It's still usable but, because I have an aftermarket padded lid/armrest on my console, I'm planning on installing a taller shift knob to bring it back up a bit.

Thanks guys for all the replies... I appreciate it :D

Got the tranny out today... drained the fluid and twisted reminants of bearing shards came out with the fluid :ermm: After looking it over, it seems the previous owner never changed the fluid... so even if we had it wouldn't have saved it. :cry:

Ah well, on to tranny hunting :D

-Ben

Hey guys,

Well, I picked up two 83 ZX 5 speeds at the junk yard and put in the one with lower miles. We had to do a little bit of creative cutting, (like the shifter well for clearance), but it was a pretty easy swap, and it's nice to have a backup... Thanks again for the helpfull info :classic:

-Ben