Bad Exhaust Valve? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Bad Exhaust Valve?

Featured Replies

It might be a little difficult to see it but I have a slight fluctuation in the vacuum gauge. I remember my old truck had this but a little worse and I had to replace the valve.

The counter weight in the AFM bounces too. Do I need to be concerned? 

 

 

https://youtu.be/woHqz7JVLQ0

Edited by rcb280z

  • Author

BTW, its my 77 280. The one that is in the "Got bored so...." thread. 

 

Im probably sweating over nothing but I don't recall seeing this a couple months ago. I just wonder if there is any correlation between this and the lower compression I got in a couple cylinders when I did a compression test about 6 months ago. A couple of the cylinders were down about 20 psi IIRC. 

If you're concerned about it I would do another compression test.  Remember you looking for the results to stay about 10% of each other, not 10 psi.  If you find 1 cylinder with lower compression you could then do a leak down test to zero in on an exhaust or inlet valve, or a bad gasket leaking into the cooling system, or a bad piston ring.  I've also read about 2 cylinders next to each other with low compression due to a gasket leak between the cylinders.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

The good thing is the 2 lower cylinders are not adjacent ones.

I was able to verify exhaust valve problem with the old fashioned way with a piece of paper at the tail pipe. The paper does want to suck into the exhaust. 

Will perform another compression test soon. Have never done a leak down test but am looking forward to doing one.

  • Author

So are the "leak down" test's easy to perform? I have never done one.

You need a leak down tester tool, you might be able to rent one from orielly or autozone.  The gist is you use compressed air to fill up a cylinder with this gauge attached and it tells you how quickly it leaks out.  Its not hard to do but its not a tool most people have lying around.  I googled this guide for you:

 

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/116-0406-cylinder-leakdown-tester/

  • Author

I just looked at a leak down tester at Harbor freight. Might pick up one.

 

image_21570.jpg

Edited by rcb280z

  • Author

You need a leak down tester tool, you might be able to rent one from orielly or autozone.  The gist is you use compressed air to fill up a cylinder with this gauge attached and it tells you how quickly it leaks out.  Its not hard to do but its not a tool most people have lying around.  I googled this guide for you:

 

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/116-0406-cylinder-leakdown-tester/

 

This was really good reading! Thanks for the link.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.