IGNORED

SU Throttle Linkage Q's

metalmonkey47

Hey guys, just curious, is there any kind of bushing that goes between throttle rod, and where it attaches to the U shaped piece at the balance tube? (Pic for reference) I've got quite a bit of play and I'm loosing probably 15-20% throttle with the pedal nailed down. I'm pretty sure the PO's 'mechanic' messed something up in there.

post-30371-14150830229916_thumb.jpg

There is a spring washer and cotter pin in that connection. The end of the J hook should be a nice fit through the holes in the U shaped hole too to remove as much chance for motion. Also evaluate all the ball joints from pedal to that J hook too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for the responses guys, I've not had much time to look at it. I'm not entirely sure how much play is 'normal' in these linkages, as I'm not very familiar with this type of assembly, and I've never owned a set of side drafts until about 5 months ago.

Also, Bruce I spoke to you on the phone the other day about some needles and nozzles. Thanks for the prompt answer! Can't say I've ever dealt with any other company out there (let alone in the Datsun community) that has been able to answer a question so quickly without hesitation. I'll give ya a shout back once I know I need them.

Just wanted to put that out in the open. You guys rock.

Play is normal, however, for best modulation of the throttle, it is best to have the play on the return side and none on the opening side.

This means, to set up the system so that as soon as you press the pedal a few mm's, the throttle valve starts to open.

Remember to set the stop screw on the floor so that the throttle valve opens all the way but it is stopped from going further by the stop on the floor, not by the throttle valve itself.