IGNORED

strange issue with 78 280z running - I'm at the end of my rope!

gheiser70

Greg,

It sounds like you're back up and going. (For the record, after reading this post & BEFORE you did your last round of cleaning, I was thinking the same thing Blue said...the WOT pulse shaping circuitry in your ECU was kaput. I do think now it was just bad external connections.)

If you still think it might be the ECU, give me a yell. I have several old stock units. I can send you a loaner one to compare against yours to see if it makes any difference. You can send back yours if you decide the loaner is better. I don't care if I get back a goofy-running ECU.

Len

I had an issue with my 280z and took years to resolve. It ended up being a temperature sensor. The car would run rich with no performance and would run only between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. This would happen intermittingly until the sensor completely failed. This was a problem with a lot of the 78Z's. I hope this sheds some light to your problem.