Coolant Leak - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Coolant Leak

Featured Replies

Looks like I have a coolant leak between the head and the block, right near the back of the engine, close to the transmission.

I'm assuming this is clearly a head gasket? Not having much luck with this car so far. The oil is still clear (Not milky).

Edit: Sorry. the photo is upside down, I can't figure out why. It's upright on my computer.

post-30294-14150828301842_thumb.jpg

I had a similar leak, bit on the other side. After I removed the engine (put another in), I removed the head and all of the other sealing areas were fine. It only leaked from a coolant passage outward.

Rotated your picture for you.

post-20342-14150828302421_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Thanks for the picture rotation!

Good to know it's possible it could only be a coolant leak. I guess the only real way to check is to do a compression test?

Is there any other heads I could swap on here that won't drastically reduce my compression ratio, yet increase performance a little over my E88? I can't seem to find an engine calculator that works for the L24 block.

If a HG replacement is required, it would be nice to be able to swap on a useable/straight head right away and have the car on the road again the same day.

If a HG replacement is required, it would be nice to be able to swap on a useable/straight head right away and have the car on the road again the same day.

What engine/car are you working with?

  • Author

1971 240z L24 w/E88 head. Stock, SU carbs

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.