IGNORED

1972 240z Stalling after a few minutes of driving.

mckennar

1 hour ago, kayinsunz said:

It's running great actually. I adjusted the floats (again) and it hasn't stalled out yet, I think the needles were closing to early. I'm going to keep toying with the carbs and see, in the mean time I'll drop the tank

I see that link in my post #30 is unavailable now for some reason. When we went to the waaay better version Mike's got now somethings didn't make it. No big deal I still have all my photos and remember the threads that were most helpful. 

We're supposed to get some much needed rain on Monday.  If so I'll be able to spend some time on my laptop and can, hopefully, put up some helpful info and tips/tricks that helped me out a lot. That is a weekend job and the tank liner should be allowed a week to cure. It's a PITA but if you do it right you'll never have to worry about again.

Cliff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kayinsunz said:

What do people usually use to coat it after cleaning it? I'm assuming some sort of rust prev coating from an aresol can.. If so, how do they coat it?

thanks

Real basic run through.

Clean it with hardware store muratic acid. Rinse with denatured alcohol.  Pour in a quart of red kote tank liner. Let it sit until you can't smell the chemicals, cured. Replace the evap hoses during that week. Reinstall the tank.

Google "red kote instructions" and read that to sorta see what to do. Cost me $100 for everything. $50 on chemicals and another $50 for evap hoses and clamps. I already had the plastic retainers you'll need to replace the interior panels in the hatch. $10 from Nissan. Have the part numbers for those too. Takes my local dealership a couple of days to get them.

I'll be more thorough with my next post. 8^)

in addition to sites advice

make sure all the solid lines coming out of the tank are clear of rust. the main fuel line on my tank was 90% plugged. i used a short piece of 1/8" aircraft cable chucked up in a cordless drill to clear the crap out

On 6/18/2017 at 5:40 PM, kayinsunz said:

What do people usually use to coat it after cleaning it? I'm assuming some sort of rust prev coating from an aresol can.. If so, how do they coat it?

thanks

Sorry I'm a little behind but I did find the threads that should cover all my "Tips" :D

If I can help in any way let me know.  Cliff

PS, here's some more on cleaning the tank.  A lot of reading but it's best to be prepared, acid and the red-kote are time sensitive so get a plan together and write it down.  Four empty 5 gallon buckets and some baking soda added to your list.

Edited by siteunseen