IGNORED

Rear Bushes

biker

Ok guys

After getting bugged by the creaks coming from the rear end of late (just the car), I decided to have a good look on the weekend only to find that the LH inner transverse bolt can move side to side by about an inch. Maybe this relates to people following me around a track saying the car looks tailee. The RH bolt can move around a quarter of an inch but I suppose it must have some movement as it is known as a flexible bushing.

I intend to replace all the bushings I can at the back. I have read some horror stories about replacing these bushes and people destroying bolts, inner casings etc, and generally having a lousy time getting them out and back in again.

The repair manual seems to give the impression that it is not all that bad.:cheeky:

The question is "Is it worth doing it at home with limited resources or admit defeat in the early stage and send it off to an expert preventing further expense from beating things to death with a mighty large hammer (the preferred weapon of choice agaist difficult subjects including computers).":disappoin

Be interested in opinons and further warnings of what to watch for:ermm:

The inside bushings are fairly easy once you get the whole assembly off and on a workbench....

The hard ones are the outer spindle pins bushings as the spindle pin is usually a PITA to get out, sometimes nearly impossible.

The inside ones are not nearly as difficult, although if you don't have a couple tools to make the job easier, you might want to have someone else go through the aggravation.

I use a 15/16 or 1 inch metal hole saw to cut the rubber in the bushings so you can get the inside sleeve out. Then I use an air chisel with a V notch bit to slowly roll the edge of the bushing and then use the small edge to cut down one side of the outer bushing. With a little practice it usually will not take long if you take your time and try not to cut a groove in the control arm. You can then use a round file to clean everything up and put the hew bushing in.

If you use urethane bushings, be sure to grease them thoroughly, or they will squeak later and drive you nuts.

I'm doing a set right now, and the bushings are taking less time than it takes to sandblast the control arms when I'm done. But then, I've done a few sets....:ermm:

2manyZ's

Air chisel, round file, hole saw?????:disappoin

How about a mean butter knife

Ok only joking, do have more than a butter knife. Is it worth taking on the spindle pin bushings (these are the ones closest to the wheel with the locknut in the middle?). If not, will it have any affect on handling in your experience.

Secondly will replacing the mustache bar bushings help handling and if yes, are they hard to tackle as well?

The mustache bar bushings won't do anything as far as handling, but they will help get rid of any clunking you hear when shifting or thumping when on a rough road. The mustache bars main function is as a differential mount. They are the easiest to change.

The spindle pin bushing will affect the handling, however, a word of warning, don't be surprised if you have to take the strut assembly to a machine shop to have the pin pressed out. I have done two sets recently, one set came out with only a hammer and a small drift, the other set I had to cut with a sawzall to separate the strut assembly from the control arm and they will need to be pressed out..:disappoin

BTW, if you do the mustache bar bushings, be sure to check your front diff mount at the same time, you might as well take the diff out completely and change that at the same time, that way you will not have one part that needs replacing in the near future after doing all the work on the mustache bar.:ermm:

If you do a search on here, you will find numerous posts regarding the spindle pins and what a PITA they are, so it's your decision......:cross-eye

Thanks guys - I have heard that it was a hell of a lot easy taking the whole lot out and working on it on the bench.

I will keep my fingers crossed and make sure the been fridge is well stocked when I tackled this one.

Hit the track again in a fortnight so I have got incentive.