IGNORED

240Z fuel system

bart

I was wondering if there is a diagram of the fuel system for the 240. I have a haynes manual and it only shows the 260. Does the 240 also have an electric fuel pump near the tank? I just bought a 1971 240 and there seem to be a problem with fuel making it to the carbs. I checked the mechanical pump and it seems to be working. I manually tried to suck some fuel to the filter by sucking on the hose that goes from the filter into the pump but only a few drops of fuel made it into the filter. Is this normal or should I be able to fill the filter up if I manually try to fill it? I think I may have either a clogged line or something. I was just hoping to find a diagram of the fuel system, or maybe if someone could tell me the difference if there is one between the 240's and the 260's system. Thanx in advance to anyone who may help out.

Bart

The 240 and 260 fuel systems should be very similar. Both models ran carbs (althought the early carbs are much better) so the layout of the fuel delivery system should be pretty much identical.

There is the main line from the tank to the filter/pump on the 240. After the pump the line continues to the carbs where a 2nd, smaller line (the return feed) goes back to the fuel tank.

You say you're not getting any fuel to the filter when sucking on the line... Well, besides saying that you really shouldn't be trying to drink gasoline LOL , then it sounds like you line is clogged. Has the car been sitting for awhile? If you have access to an air compressor, blow air into the line back towards the fuel tank. This will try to blow out any garbage out of the line. You can then open the gas cap and listen to see if you hear air rushing into the fuel tank. if not then the line needs to be removed and either cleaned or replaced.

If you do blow the garbage out of the line and into the tank, I would suggest that you drop your tank and thoroughly clean it out. Your car will appreciate it in the long run.

The fuel systems are all basically the same.

The only 240 that had an electric fuel pump at the tank were the 73's due to a recall by the factory to cure the vapor lock problems they had.

You can put an electric pump on any of the 240's and do away with the mechanical pump if you wish.

The way you have described it, you may have a blockage of the pickup in the tank due to rust and corrosion in the tank. Have you tried using compressed air through the hard line before the filter to see if it clears? You might be furhter ahead to run the tank down low on fuel, and then pull the drain plug and see if you get a lot of crud out of the bottom of the tank, if so, then you might better consider having the tank dropped and cleaned/re-sealed to prevent any further contamination of the fuel system.

• 5 months later...

I figured out and fixed my fuel problem. The inlet and outlet tubes on the fuel tank were clogged. I removed the tank cleaned it out and spent a good number of hours cleaning out the inlet and outlet tubes. Works great now.

I used patience, carb cleaner, and a wire. After quite a few hours the wire was able to brake through the blockage. I was about to bring it to a shop before I broke through. Oh yeah a lot of swear words were involved in the process too. Oh yeah there was an air compressor involved also. Once I had the crap that was blocking it broken up a bit the compressor was able to blow out the rest.

I hope this helped.

Bart

I finally got to the point where I cut the feed and return hose at the tank. When I blew air froom the front to the back dirty gas came out and the lines aare clear. The tank is a different story. It is loaded with rust and the inlet gas pipe was clogged. I ran a flexible cable through it and it seems OK. I have to have the tank cleaned and coated internally if it can be salvaged. If not I have to look for a replacement tank.

Thanks

Al

• 1 month later...

I do not think there was a dilter on those tubes. It took me a while to clear out the bloackage. The air compressor did not really work until I was able to break the bailing wire through. Then the compressor was able to blast out the remainder of the blockage.

Bart