IGNORED

keep blowing the fuse for the dash lights/tail lights/park lights, Please help.

oldfart76280z

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

The lights look zinc plated with a blue chromate finish. They should last a long time with out adding anything. The one you took off is probably close to 50 years old, so I think you should be fine with out anything extra. Did you get the fuse issue fixed with the new lights?

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

The lights look zinc plated with a blue chromate finish. They should last a long time with out adding anything. The one you took off is probably close to 50 years old, so I think you should be fine with out anything extra. Did you get the fuse issue fixed with the new lights?

Yes its fixed. The contacts on the license plate lamp were also full of rust and a bulb was shut. I would also like to buy one of these lamps.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:42 PM, Patcon said:

That one is beyond restoration. You can find some good used ones or buy the Asian reproductions. Repros are still better than shorted lights

Well i just got a full set of marker light replicas made in thailand. I spliced the ground and positive cable and crimped new bullet terminals. I prefer using the old rubber which seems fine, the original lens and the original metal frame. Would you recommend also spraying some CRC soft seal to avoid any future rust or could this product damage the rubber seal?

8 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Well i just got a full set of marker light replicas made in thailand. I spliced the ground and positive cable and crimped new bullet terminals. I prefer using the old rubber which seems fine, the original lens and the original metal frame. Would you recommend also spraying some CRC soft seal to avoid any future rust or could this product damage the rubber seal?

I thought I covered this!

I wouldn't add anything, CRC soft seal or other. If you prefer the older rubber, lens and chrome fine but I would spray anything on any of it!

thanks PATCON. I did not use CRC soft seal nor anything. I was wondering if i should use a Dremmel with a brass brush tip to clean the rest of the sockets on the remaining 3 side marker lights instead of replacing them all. THe only one that was really rusted is the one in the picture. Should i spray any product to keep the humidity out of the socket and avoid rust?

If I had new markers for the other three corners, I would use them.

@SteveJ @Captain Obvious would dielectric grease in the bottom of the light socket help anything or make things worse?

Jalex, I suspect that rust is a fact of life in Panama. The other ones did last 40 or so years though. We'll see if I can get an expert to respond on adding something in the socket.