IGNORED

Any electricians?

Ed

I was looking at air compressors and was wondering what the difference is between "single stage & dual stage"? Is single stage 120v and dual stage 240v?

When doing the wiring for it would the dual stage get connected like an electric dryer or range?

I think the stages has to do with pressure not voltage.I'm sure someone will enlighten us about that.As far as wiring requirement that will depend on the unit somewhat.Allow me to explain.People think that the reason for the circuit breaker is to protect the attached device(A/C,refrig,TV ,aircompressor etc.)The fact is it is to protect the wire that supplies the device.Most homegarage type compressors I have seen are usually 240v/15 or 20 amp. 20 amp =#12 wire =20a breaker.If the run to the panel is too long a voltage drop occurs.Then you may need to run #10 =30amp.This is not a complex as it appears,just read the info plate on the compressor to determine your needs.

I believe the term two stage means that the pressure is increased in two stages, and apparently this allows a greater volume of air at higher pressures. As you've probably found out, two stage is much more expensive than single stage, will require wiring the garage for 220 if not already wired, and two stage is probably unnecessary for the average home mechanic. Nice to have though if you can afford it.