tranny swap - Parts Swapping - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

tranny swap

Featured Replies

ok so here's the scenario. i found a 1974 240Z for sale. its an automatic. i'm looking for stick. i know people have done the auto-manual swap, but what areas need to be addressed? is the compression different in the auto than the manual? i want a five speed, maybe from a 280Z, as i hear that's a popular swap. what say you?

  • 4 weeks later...
ROFL there is a great site geocities.com/zgarage2001/enginehtml take a good look and see what you think. I think it will asnwer all your ???

but where did you ever find yourself a 74 240Z:ermm:

  • Author

indeed. i was mistaken. it was a 260Z. no bother, someone else has two 240Z, one a '72 with an auto in seemingly good condition (she even claims it runs, which i doubt) and she also has another 240Z which she doesn't have the papers to, and its quite rusted. but it has a manual transmission, so i'm thinking of taking the rusty z's engine and trans and putting them in the 72. sound like a good idea?

I have recently done an auto to 4 speed swap. And I have done them before also. Let me know if you need help or just have any questions, I will be glad to help.

-Bryan

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

If not, I'd suggest focusing on the rest of the car first (ie, body, engine, etc.).

Had an automatic in the 74 260, and it was a nice transmission (smooth shifting and never a problem).

If the tranny is in good shape, spend the bucks on everything else (and enjoy not shifting....)

  • 2 months later...

for your information , the automatics used a flex plate insted of a flywheel. I have a good flywheel from a 280zx that I will trade for your flexplate. Let me know .Gary

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.