IGNORED

Looking for input on exhaust ideas.

caltanian

Looking to replace my current exhaust system. Appears to be a shoddy header (6 into 1) with rust and flaking and a msa booger welded together exhaust. Its loud, and drones like crazy at 3k and above, right where I cruise.

I'm looking to replace the headers with a 3-2-1 ceramic coated system from MSA, and the performance exhaust system. I may get a muffler shop to do the last bit however, as I am thinking of replacing the muffler with something a bit quieter, or with less drone, and a cutout at the end of the collector.

Anyone ever done this? Anyone see any major issue for me here? The exhaust should still flow the same, only more muffled, the headers should provide more of a mid and low range punch being 3-2-1 instead of the 6-1. I should be able to find a muffler that lets me tuck it a little further up in as well. And with the cutout, I can get as loud as hell when I want to.

Thank you for your input.

The drone is typically solved with a second muffler midway down the system. Stock Z's came with anti-resonation mufflers in that spot. You might try a simple modification there before buying a whole new system, at least to know what you need first. Many people use a glass pack instead of the stock anti-resonation muffler and say it does the job fine. The stock piece is a little bit restrictive.

Input on exhaust? Kinda like saying input on output, no? :) Sorry, bad pun...

Seriously, Chazg has it right.

I have a cheery-bomb style muffler mounted halfway and no exhaust drone at all. If I recall, it's 18" long.

In fact, I get more gear-train and engine noise thru the firewall than exhaust noise.

Hi,

I placed a Cherry Bomb mid way back last year and the result was as hoped. The drone disappeared and the exhaust sound deepened. Now the Z has a beautiful balance of engine growl and exhaust purr. If I recall correctly, the Cherry Bomb cost ~$25.00 on ebay, so not a big investment considering the value of the pleasure derived.

FYI: There's lots to read on this topic - worth the investigation - enjoy

Sorry - Wish I could accommodate you but it's -12F outside here this AM and my Z is hibernating inside in its warm den until April.

Eh, I'll probably just wizz off the neighbors until spring anyway, maybe then? I wonder how dual cherry bomb glasspacks would sound coming back from a 6-3-2 header..... could be sweet!

If you are going to the trouble of installing a new header and custom fabricated exhaust system, you might consider installing a stainless steel system. Borla sells individual components, including turbo type mufflers, resonators, clamps and pipes. See my photos in the Members Gallery for a 2 1/4" dia. flanged system with a resonator. I have a number of 2 1/2" dia. components for sale in the classifieds and on eBay at very reasonable prices. MSA's fabricator can bend the pipes for you. If you are interested in this approach, I can provide their contact info.

Good luck with their project.

Fixitman

• 2 months later...

Ended up going with a custom set up. Had a magnaflow resonator installed midpipe, and a dynomax super turbo out back. May eventually move it also over to a magnaflow. But right now, its awesome. Nice quiet, but strong idle, and good snarl at wide open throttle.

I have a crazy idea to put a cutout after the resonator, have the loud but not insane level, and the quiet for the highway and neighborhood.