Reproduction tail lamp lens and trim - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Reproduction tail lamp lens and trim

Featured Replies

  • Author

Thanks! That is a lot of great info.

No problem....I just ordered a pair of the chrome strips....$200.00 with shipping....we'll see how they look. Anyone know how to remove the lenses from the housing? I think there was a post on that subject ......seems it involves heat, but not sure. Can you remove the old strip without removing the lense from the housing? Most of my lenses are in good shape....just the chrome strip that goes bad. Any help would be appreciated.

I removed mine lenses by soaking the taillight in a bucket of really hot water. The hot water heats it evenly and them I could use a screwdriver to gently lever it out. It didnt put up much resistance after all the years aging the glue. Take your time and be gentle, dont force it. Getting the glue out took time and repeatedly immersing the taillight in hot water and scrapping the glue out.

I have also heard of people using a heat gun, but I found it difficult to get the heat evenly around the lens without running the risk of melting or burning it.

The chrome strip has one of those slip over spring washers with barbs. They are hard to get off without damaging the strip. I used an o-ring pick to work the ring off. After that it comes of easy.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat
Removing Chrome strip

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Thanks Chas.....Hot water worked like a charm.....5 minutes and she came right out! Just used hot tap water.

Thanks Chas.....Hot water worked like a charm.....5 minutes and she came right out! Just used hot tap water.

If the lenses are that easy to get out, doesn't it seem like one could make the amber euro lens for these cars without making the entire light assembly?

The lens comes out as a whole unit. Its glued into the taillight housing (white back section) with a glue something like windscreen sealer.

To change the amber section only, you will need to dismantle the lens itself. Its in three sections and glue with compisite resin. With the plastic being so old the chances of getting it apart and not breaking or damaging the other red and clear sections is not good.

The repro sets looks nice, but I cant use them here because they make them without the reflector section in the parking light lens. They wont pass the roadworthy check here or you need an inspector that does'nt happen notice it;)

Chas

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.