IGNORED

Can I use a 260/280z oil/temp gauge in my 1970 240z

Tomzern

Hi!

I am wondering if I can connect a 260/280Z oil/temp gauge to the wiring in my 240z and get it to work properly? Are the senders the same on the L24 as on the L26/L28? The case is that my car don't have the original oil/temp gauge installed, and I have 260z gauge available:)

Regards,

Tomzern

Hi Tomzern,

I dont know the 1970 240Z very good, but it should work. I do know the 280Z and can still remember some of the 73 240Z with a little help from the old workshop manual I still have. The only difference I can think of is the colour of the wiring and the power supply to the illumination lamp.

The 1973 240Z compared with the 280Z

240Z. (1973)

Power supply : Yellow/Red.

Ground : Black.

Illumination. : Red/Blue. (via Rheostat for dimmer)

Oil switch. : Yellow/White.

Temp. switch. : Yellow/White.

Illum. Power. : N/A.

280Z?

Power supply : Blue

Ground : Black

Illumination. : Red/Blue. (via Rheostat for dimmer)

Oil switch. : Yellow/White

Temp. switch. : Yellow

Illum. Power. : Green/White

You have a 260Z gauge cluster. If these colours are similar to what you have then you could use the 260Z gauge with a couple of wiring mods to get power to the illumination lamp. The 73 uses the power to the two guage coils and the 280Z uses a separate Power supply to the lamp.

As for diffences in the sender units. The temperature sender is the same.

The oil sender unit changed in feb 1977 to a two wire unit with external earth cable. Datsun probably worried that people would use thread tape on the thread and create extra resistance and incorrect readings. Even so, this sender would not give you any problem.

Check you wiring first to make sure what goes where. Pay attention to the temp sender en oil press sender wires because they should be the same colour in your car.

Goodluck

Chas

The only other challenge is the difference in how the two gauge housings mount to the dash. It's best to put the guts of the 280 gauge into your 240 housing then adapt the wiring to match the wiring in your car. Both have the same wires, just not the same plugs. Just a bit of cutting and adding new connectors, or splice the 280 gauge wires to the connectors on your 240 gauge. It certainly can be done. Good luck!

I don't have the original 240 gauge, so I will have to make some kind of custom mount for the one I have, but that is no problem=) I just wanted to know if they are the same internally. I will update this post when the gauge is installed :)

Thank you helping me=)

-Tom