IGNORED

NH 1972 240Z in classifieds

JoelH

Joel,

I saw the ad for your 240Z a few days ago and found the history of the car fascinating. So, it was almost restored in the Nissan program. Do you know why Nissan decided not to restore the car? Perhaps Nissan ended the program too soon?

Robert S.

Joel,

I saw the ad for your 240Z a few days ago and found the history of the car fascinating. So, it was almost restored in the Nissan program. Do you know why Nissan decided not to restore the car? Perhaps Nissan ended the program too soon?

Robert S.

From what I understand Robert I think it ended up being too expensive for Nissan to continue and they stopped the program after about 30 or so cars. Some of the older guys on here could probably give more detailed background about it but I think it cost so much to restore one that they didn't make any money.

Carl Beck saw this car with the original owner after it came out of the warehouse and he could tell you more probably.

The story I got goes something like this - When the Vintage Z Program was first getting started - the people at Nissan had no real idea what the cost of restoration would be. The previous owner of that car had already done a major "refresh" - and Nissan bought it. As the real costs of the restorations started to become known -Nissan realized that they had put too much into the car to begin with - so they held it with the intention of selling it back into the Used Car Market. So it got stuck in the Nissan warehouse to be delt with later.

Later never came and the car sat there. Personal changed and the car was simply forgotten about - Until Nissan decided to move out of California..

When people started looking at what was in the warehouse - the car was mistaken as being one of the Vintage Z's - because it was sitting there with two other Vintage Z's that Nissan had kept. The cars were covered with years of warehouse dust and grim and it the warehouse was dimly lite.. So the VIN on that car was included on a list of VIN's for the Vintage Z's by mistake.. Once everything was brought out into the light of day and cars cleaned up - Nissan realized that it wasn't one of the Vintage Z's.. so it was sold into the used car market - as I recall it went to Courtesy Nissan for sale.. then to it first buyer in Atlanta, then to a second buyer in Atlanta.. Nonetheless it was a pretty nicely "refreshed" 240Z - as I recall the only issue with it was that the floorboards had not been fully replaced with new ones - only patched in. Which was fine for the intended use of the car, by its previous owner.

BTW - I think the cars history does add something to the ownership experienced. How or if that converts to an increased value at this point I don't know..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Carl and Joel,

Thanks for sharing the "detailed" history of the car. As mentioned, knowing the history of the car doesn't necessarily increase the value of the car, but it does increase the pride of the owner. I was honored to speak with the original owner of my car some 25 years after he last owned it. This doesn't add value to the car, but it certainly makes you feel part of something bigger.

Robert S.