IGNORED

Yet another disabled 83 story

First time posting on these boards. I've long read the messages here that have helped solve a ton of issues with my love/hate relationship that I've had with my 83 non turbo ZX.

I've owned the car for 10+ years, but sadly, I let the vehicle sit for about 5 years or so due to the incredible money pit that it quickly became. For some reason, I did not learn my lesson and have begun working on it once again. This go round, I've replaced the coil, put in a new ignition, fuel filter, and some other odds and ends, the vehicle is getting fire once again but no gas.

I've checked both fuel relays (what a joy that was!) and the fuel pump is still not coming on. My next step is to of course put a voltage meter onto the pump to see if power is actually getting to it before replacing the whole thing.

Is there any other items that need to be checked before I climb under the cobwebbed mess?

Someone was kind enough to take the throttle positioning system off of the car while it sat, so thats a quick issue to handle, but I don't believe it would keep it from at least firing.

Why don't you just put a voltmeter on the fuel pump itself and see what you're getting? In 45 seconds you can know if the problem is with the pump or somewhere forward of that.

Maybe someone ELSE with an '83 model can unplug the TPS just to confirm it's not required for fuel flow...

• Like 1

I've owned the car for 10+ years, but sadly, I let the vehicle sit for about 5 years or so due to the incredible money pit that it quickly became. For some reason, I did not learn my lesson and have begun working on it once again. This go round, I've replaced the coil, put in a new ignition, fuel filter, and some other odds and ends, the vehicle is getting fire once again but no gas.

Is there any other items that need to be checked before I climb under the cobwebbed mess?

Someone was kind enough to take the throttle positioning system off of the car while it sat, so thats a quick issue to handle, but I don't believe it would keep it from at least firing.

You didn't say why you replaced those parts. The "other odds and ends" might be important. What do you mean by "new ignition"? How well did it run when it was parked five years ago?

If I was working on a car that sat for five years the first thing I would check is fuel quality. Actually, I wouldn't even check it until it was out of the tank, I would drain the tank first and disconnect the starter wire to run the pump and drain the fuel rail too. Then refill with fresh gas and run the fuel pump again to get fresh gas in the rail.

Anyway, when you say "no gas" do you mean no fire from the cylinders, or are you sure the pump doesn't come on? Some of the ZX's had a 5 second prime, but the pump won't run until the key is at Start or the engine runs. You won't hear it when the key is On.

When I parked the car, someone had tried breaking into the vehicle and busted out the ignition, so I had to put a whole new one on. Same thing happened to the coil as I mentioned about the TPS. Someone felt that they needed it more than I did. Along with the cheap 20 dollar CD player that was in there..

Anyways, I read about the 5 second prime that some Z's have. Still can't hear a noise coming from the pump. Even after letter the car spin a few times while spraying starting fluid into the intake. I've got a mechanic friend who's been helping me out little by little, but I get impatient wanting to work on the vehicle during the week..LOL

• 2 months later...

If it fires when you spray starting fluid in, then ignition is working. Fuel is the problem. Don't forget the fuel filter, but I'd go after the pump. They are easily loud enough to hear when they're working.

And I'd definitely try to get the old gas out and new gas in before I started it.

• 1 year later...

yeah bad gas can cause a multitude of fire issues, from no fire, to sputter, etc... my husband's supra had that problem, but come to find out, the gas tank was completely rusty on the inside, and the sock on the inlet of the fuel pump was completely clogged. he tried and tried to get it to work, clean it out, etc... but inevitably ended up buying a fuel cell...

my advice is, if the pump is running, check the tank, and the fuel pump for debris and rust. if it's rusty, you may as well buy a fuel cell and maybe a new pump, because the rarity of the Z cars, and any 'Japanese muscle cars', you probably won't find one that is not rusted out.