IGNORED

Getting Close with my 71'

OK, so never trust that the "rebuilt" master vac you get from Advance Auto has all the correct parts. Especially when they don't look like the ones you took off the car ;-)

Spent the last few days chasing a brake problem, system bled fine and worked good for the first few miles, then would lock up until the car was no longer able to move. Pulled the entire system apart, cleaned and reinstalled everything, including disassembling the master cylinder. After a day of brake work, put it all back together the fricken problem still persisted! Then spent 5 min searching our forum and found that I either had a bad MC or the pedal free paly and/or booster pushrod clearance was off. I had set the pushrod clearance to 4mm when I installed the booster and new MC but in looking at the drawings in the 70' - 71' service manuals it looks like the plunger was much shorter than mine. And the 4mm was from the booster surface not the spacer.

Off came the booster and I notice that the adjuster on the pushrod is like almost and inch long and that the original was rather short. Few moments digging through parts boxes netted the old pushrod and after a quick swap and eyeball adjustment I was back in business.

Today's test drive was a success! Still needs to be adjusted some more as I have quite a low and light pedal but no more dragging brakes nor locking up! As a reward for the awesome drive she gave me this evening she got her first bath in a decade, and man was she dirty!

After bath:

post-8081-14150824600877_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to wet sand that paint to get it to shine again a bit ;-)

I'm going to call my getting close thread officially gotten there now I think! Its been fun and thanks to all that gave advice and kind words.

Not bad progress if I do say so myself considering she looked like this not much longer than two months ago:

post-8081-14150824601645_thumb.jpg

Edited by er34gtt2000jp

Nice job! How's that type-A 5-speed feel?

Well let me say this, it shifts nice but is a little stiff getting out of 5th and into reverse sometimes. But the shifter is a lot nicer than the type A 4 speed. Also with the 3.36 diff, this baby has some loooooong legs. I can hit like 50 in 1st, and 70 on the freeway is like 2500rpm. I need a 3.90 bad! Maybe even a 4.11 would work very nicely, I've got my eyes peeled for one locally out of a 720 4x4 or 200sx. Problem is finding those these days is not as easy as a few years back.