Ignition sanity check - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Ignition sanity check

Featured Replies

So I was in a high performance driving class with my z. 1976 280z. And had lots of fun, but revved the engine a lot. Near end of day engine was a bit rough. Drive home it started chugging and missing.

At home I did compression test - good and consistent across cylinders (engine was rebuilt 10000 miles ago). checked spark plugs - a little brown and white, nothing odd. Still replaced with new

Then went to cap and rotor and found something

c0e8a8921cbcb2f891d7f7f5466f9b35.jpg

This looks to be the culprit. What I am asking is what else should I check. I have new cap and rotor on order( 2 sets on order from different places) problem I leave Tuesday night or Wednesday for a roadtrip I have had planned awhile. The parts come on Tuesday.

Iam pretty sure this will fix it, but am thinking what if...

disclaimer: I'm a 240z guy, so I mostly can tell you about the points and condenser you don't have :bunny:

However, it might be a good idea to grab the distributor shaft and see if it has any lateral wiggle. It should spin fine, and feel a little slop there from the vacuum and mechanical advance, but it shouldn't have much of any play sideways (which would be a sign of worn out bushings in the distributor and would prematurely wear out the cap & rotor)

How old is the cap you're replacing? If it's pretty new I'd be suspicious, if it's ancient... well... it's considered a wear part.

  • Author

The cap and rotor were new with the rebuild.

However I was revving near redline for protracted periods.

Ill check the distributor for play. I have an extra of that part on hand.

And just a thought... buy quality parts, and I prefer to buy both the rotor and the cap from the same manufacturer. Perhaps that's just my superstition. Even with that, I do frequent checks after a replacement, looking for damage and I don't hesitate to return them if there's any sign of the rotor tip and the contacts crashing or burning.

Assuming the distributor shaft bearing is solid, of course.

Something doesn't fit right. Is there any chance you have a ZX distributor or some other modification?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.