Alternator Wiring Noob Please Help - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Alternator Wiring Noob Please Help

Featured Replies

Hi, I've got a 1972 240z that I've been refreshing and I decided to change the alternator.

I bought a duralast alternator from autozone and am having trouble with the wiring. Installed the alternator and messed up the wiring somehow. after rewiring it I reconnected the battery and the fusible link burned up. I've got a new one from MSA and want to make sure my wiring is correct before I burn it up as well.

I have used the search function but couldn't find anything clear enough. I also looked the the FSM and couldn't make heads or tails of the wiring diagrams.

I am a complete electrical noob and would appreciate some help.

Here are a few pictures of what I'm working with.

post-28653-14150823116142_thumb.jpg

post-28653-14150823115463_thumb.jpg

B stands for Battery. The thick white wire with the red stripe goes there. E stands for Earth, also known as ground. The black wire goes there. The T plug plugs in to the same hole as the other alternator, the one with S and L beside it. The thing that looks like a small can, the condenser or capacitor, looks correct in your first picture.

That should be it. If you were having over-voltage problems it may be that the original issue was with your external voltage regulator. You'll find out when you get the alternator installed.

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, how much did you pay for the alternator?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.