IGNORED

Cannon Intake Manifold rod end possible solution

Zedyone_kenobi

I'm looking at this thread and I don't have all those problems with my very similar setup (3xDCOE, Cannon manifold). I was able to get the 3 heim joints to align almost properly.

I do not have return springs on my system except the ones in the carbs.

I had to play with the 3 heim joints on a bench. I switched them in between threaded holes until it went ok. I've seen alignment being very off by 3-4mm by just turning heim joint 180° which proves setup is not straight. At the end with some perseverance, it now works.

Regarding Zedyone_kenobi's setup, 2 heim joints are ok and that's the way linkage should be setup to remove any alignment issue. Issue is you put return spring and throttle cable right were the rod is the easiest to bend (in the middle with no support). First modification I would do would be to move throttle cable & return spring the closest from heim joint (where the system is the stiffest).

If you move throttle cable support from carb#1 to carb#2, it would be much better. Only deflection load the rod would see in the middle is load from internal carb#2 spring.

My carbs can easily go from full throttle to idle with just internal spring actuation. There should be no need of any extra spring to allow that with only carbs in the system. If you can't do it, it means something is wrong in your carbs: either throttle plate is not located properly, throttle shaft is bent or throttle shaft bearings/o-rings are shot.

Then comes friction in throttle cable; there should be very little. I would spray WD40 inside cable & make sure it does not have curvature radius too small. I still have stock throttle linkage so I cannot really compare but mine have very minor friction so carb springs are enough in my case.

If you need a spring I would also check if you cannot put one on top of the pedal. I've never had the need to try it so I don't know if it would be doable...

Besides those remarks, the setup is very clean, I like it a lot with the fuel rail :) Good job!

Edited by Lazeum

• 6 years later...

Zedyone, any update on your problem resolution?  I just bought the TWM (2 post) triple intake manifold to replace my Cannon.  Have had similar issues with idle return, am hoping this helps.  Interested to hear if you had a solution for your setup.