Idles rough, but runs good when giving it gas. - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Idles rough, but runs good when giving it gas.

Featured Replies

I got my Z up and running. It idles rough. It sounds like its missing. When I increase the rpm's or give it gas. It runs perfectly fine. Anyone have some theories?

What year Z? Does it have carburetors or fuel injection? Has someone done a turbo swap?

I second the vacuum leak theory. At idle the intake manifold is at a high vacuum resulting in significant air entering through the leak, leaning out the mixture. As you open the throttle, vacuum drops and less air enters via the leak, and the mixture richens.

What is the fuel pressure on the rail?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

It's a 1978 Z. I think everything is stock. I'll check the fuel pressure later this week.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.