IGNORED

Reproduction S30 parts NLA.......

9teen7t240z

So since these headlight covers were originally an aftermarket item......

There were Nissan OEM Headlight Covers, and then there were After-market headlight covers. They are different. The pictures that Blue Posted are of the Nissan OEM type, or reproductions of the Nissan OEM type. I haven't seen anyone Post pictures of the After-market type. Last time I looked the After-market type were still available.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Here is a great thread on the light cover trim: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread31601.html

Here is the chap who makes the GNose plastic cover w/o ss trim:

Hello, my name is Mark Clapp from Kansas City, Missouri USA. I'm an individual and have been making plexiglass parts like headlight covers and windows for over eight years now. I supply several replica manufacturers like Race Car Replicas and restoration shops that restore original GT40s and Jaguars. I recently started making the headlight covers for the 240/260/280Z G-nose cars. The plastic I use is shatter proof and will not crack so rocks/road debris are no problem. Also you do not need special drill bits as for acrylic; any old bit will cut fine with no cracking. I also include L-braces cut from the same crystal clear plastic to mount the covers with. From a distance, the L-braces disappear and the covers look like they are floating on the car. I'm asking $189/pair. Feel free to email me at: mclapp1(at)att(dot)net and I can send pictures of the covers. You can also call me anytime at: 816-286-6982 to talk about the covers.

Thanks,

Mark Clapp

While reading the various posts, it seems that one or more of the members are either working on or already completed the headlight lens covers. I've also heard from one member who is working on the stainless steel trim pieces, for either the Gnose or the stock Z, or both. Consequently, I'm getting the impression that either the headlight lenses and trim pieces are available now, or will be soon. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I really don't want to "re-invent the wheel" if someone has already invested time and money into reproducing these parts.

Kurby's suggestion about window rollers might be a no-brainer. Especially, if these same rollers were used throughout the S30 line. Threshold plates have already been noted as a possible target. The suggestion from Stanley on turn signal switches could be viable......am wondering just how many different switches were used from 1970-1978? Does anyone know the answer to that one?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am not aware of anyone making the ss surrounds thus my suggestion at the very top.

The clear plastic covers can be purchased from Motorsport Auto and Blackdragon (stock) and from Mark Clapp (for Gnose).

Ideally, if you made a surround that worked with those then it would be a win-win for all.

Put my vote in for the OEM 6mm machine screws with the hex/Phillips head. Using regular hex head screws looks spiffy (shiny) but also looks out-of-place on a car from the 70s. Other than that, complete wiring harnesses or every model of S30 would be the bees-knees. If possible, how about every piece of sheet metal from the nose to the tail, including the chassis, and even complete cars, sans-engine? LOL

John, Good suggestion. I had already planned to contact a number of suppliers regarding their "want lists", but thought this might be a better forum since many Z enthusiasts have probably stopped requesting certain items as they have been NLA for so long. But, I'll be the OC later this afternoon and may as well drop by MSA while I'm there.

When I was restoring my Z, the front turn signal lenses and assemblies couldn't be found anywhere. Has some one since began reproducing these, or, are they still scarce as hen's teeth? Also, seems that front valances (all 3 pieces) were all but impossible to find.....especially at anything that resembled a good price. Does anyone know if these are currently being reproduced?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

John, Good suggestion. I had already planned to contact a number of suppliers regarding their "want lists", but thought this might be a better forum since many Z enthusiasts have probably stopped requesting certain items as they have been NLA for so long. But, I'll be the OC later this afternoon and may as well drop by MSA while I'm there.

When I was restoring my Z, the front turn signal lenses and assemblies couldn't be found anywhere. Has some one since began reproducing these, or, are they still scarce as hen's teeth? Also, seems that front valances (all 3 pieces) were all but impossible to find.....especially at anything that resembled a good price. Does anyone know if these are currently being reproduced?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I think Jay has a Japnese source for the front lenses. As for the front valance; are you looking to make it out of fiberglass or metal? I think Les has a source for the fiberglass version. Speaking of Les he would be a great source to ask what parts people are asking for that he cannot supply.

Montezuma,

I wish that you had posted your recommendation just a few hours earlier. I met with Les earlier today, but we were meeting on a different matter and we had little time to talk about reproduction targets. Having said that, I did mention an earlier post requesting gaskets/rubber replacements for the air cleaner assemblies, and...lo and behold....Les had a solution. He already has a nice fix that he uses on his air cleaner assemblies and even took the time to show me how it works. MUCH more practical than having these reproduced, as it is both cost-effective and has the looks and functionality of the original parts.

I'll have to go back through the thread to see whyo requested this, but I'd recommend that anyone who wants to replace their aging air cleaner box gaskets may want to give Les a call.

Mike

Mike,

I haven't started dismantling my car yet so I'm sure there will be a lot of hard-to-find items I'll be searching for. It appears the Series I ash tray/cover is difficult to find in good shape and perhaps this would be a good candidate for reproduction. The '70 - '71 models had this style of ash tray, so again that's about half of the 240Z's.

Robert S.

Ehlers,

Seems that alot of members would like to see the fusebox cover/ashtray from the series 1 240 reproduced. Fortunately, I think that I still have a used one lying around that I may use as a demo for a proto-type. At this point in time, I'd say that this one piece that will definitely be included on the target list. Thanks for your input.

I learned today that the chrome plating facility that I use can actually reproduce the tail light finishers/ bezels for the 240z. (or so they claim......may be a friend of their friend's brother type of deal...LOL). But, I am going to follow up on that prospect as well, even though reproducing the entire taillight assembly is also high on the prospect list.

Speaking of high, typing after 2 glasses of wine is a piece of cake.......too bad I've had three!!!

Mike